convert QUEST3D simulation to Irrlicht Engine

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
DietmarS

convert QUEST3D simulation to Irrlicht Engine

Post by DietmarS »

For about one year I create a "Failure Simulation" of a helicopter cockpit. That means a teacher is able to simulate different types of errors on a helicopter cockpit and stores these simulations as files. A pupil open a simulation file, see the simulation (in real time) and has to mention why this error happens and how to solve the problem. My software update allows the teacher during the simulation to get access to that simulation and can add other failures during simulation. The pupil can use the mouse to click the buttons and so on to get rid of the new errors. I realized that with QUEST3D.

Guys who know QUEST3D knows how complex it can be if you use it for really big projects. So I checked out different systems, read one forum after the other and played a little bit with the irrlicht engine, e.g. integrate a scene in a java panel or with the split screen.

Before I start trying to realize my "Failure Simulation" with Irrlicht I have a few questions about the engine:
1. To get a REAL realtime simulation the simulation files which will be created with the software look something like this:
TIME:INSTRUMENT(:UP/DOWN)|....|....|
for example: 4.1:AP1:0|4.2:AFCS2|7:FR|
Is Irrlicht able to control a timer to get the right time to start the next action on the cockpit even if there are manually actions outside the simulation?
2. I have to use the split screen like described in the examples with the difference that I have to make actions with the mouse within each viewport. That
means that I must have collision detections between mouse and objects for each viewport separated. Is that possible?

If both is possible and someone could give me a hint how to start with the timer and the different viewports I could start with the project. And if someone is interested in it I could publish the sources to learn from each other.
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: convert QUEST3D simulation to Irrlicht Engine

Post by CuteAlien »

1. Sorry I don't get what you mean in that question. Irrlicht has a timer which it uses internally sometimes, but it has no system for doing stuff at certain times or something similar. You have to code that yourself, Irrlicht only helps you with the 3D parts.

2. Haven't tried, but should be possible. But I remember there had been a problem with viewports and mouse-collisions in the past, so you might have to use the latest svn-version.

And I don' t know anything about QUEST3D, but it looks to me like a higher-level tool. Irrlicht is c++ 3d Engine - so rather something you would use to code a tool like Quest3D. Higher flexibility, but probably harder to use.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm