Compiling Irrlicht-0.7 Source

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
eeheeehe

Compiling Irrlicht-0.7 Source

Post by eeheeehe »

Forgive me if this seems like an obvious question, but how do you compile the irrlicht-0.7 source code correctly?

I mean, the compiler creates all the *.o files correctly, but sometimes it won't generate a completed project. Other times it will just generate the libirrlicht.a file. But it will never actually generate a irrlicht.dll file. I am using Dev-C++ 5, and I have changed the directories to the local directories for the project (libjpeg, include, etc.) but the compiler still won't give me the dll file.

Is there a tutorial on the site for this, or is the compiler only supposed to generate a .a file?
And if so, what dll do I use? do I use the default irrlicht.dll?
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

I've had the same problem. On both of my PC's.... can't get it to compile. I have the same problems as you... I just deal with it though 8)
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Try doing a search on your computer for irrlicht.dll and see if it has compiled the binaries in a different place to the object files.
eeheeehe

Post by eeheeehe »

No, it doesn't compile it and place it anywhere special. The compiler just doesn't generate the file. Does anyone have a reason for why this happens, and how to fix it or get around it?
Acki

Post by Acki »

What Windows version you're running ???
You can compile Irrlicht only on WinXP !!!
(W98 and W2000 doesn't work)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

I'm on WinXP
eeheeehe

Post by eeheeehe »

ROFL!
OMG, no wonder it doesn't work... I am still running Windows98SE... :P

Okay... I need to upgrade my computer, but most other programs still will compile into a .exe file, but I did notice that sometimes the compiler will compile into a library irrlicht.a file.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

.a is the DevCpp equivilent of .lib ain't it?
eeheeehe

Post by eeheeehe »

yes, it is. But I was kind of expecting a ".dll" format... so the .a file threw me off.
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

why would irrlicht only compile on XP, i see no reason why 98 and 2000 wouldn't work, in fact, i compiled irrlicht successfully w/ 2000. It should be no different
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
eeheeehe

Post by eeheeehe »

same for me... most things compile well for me on 98SE, with a few exceptions that I cannot really explain...
Acki

Post by Acki »

Well, in fact you can compile all parts off Irrlicht with W98 or W2000 but dllwrap qould not work (linking all parts to one DLL) because the command line for this is to long and only XP can handle this...
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
eeheeehe

Post by eeheeehe »

Okay, that I understand perfectly. Thank you Acki :)