Graphics vs gameplay

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
REDDemon
Developer

Re: Graphics vs gameplay

Post by REDDemon »

serengeor wrote:
REDDemon wrote:Graphics is part of the gameplay. It can be low res and low level of detail. But it must have something unique else the player will discard the game
I can't agree on that with you. I personally like even old games that have 'sucky' graphics and I wouldn't call them unique really. It's the game play of the game that attracts me and not the so called 'unique' graphics.
I would choose cs 1.6 over cs:source and many other, if not all fps games, stronghold (1) over many other strategy games.
Though, now the most fun game is 'Coding' and 'Studying', no fancy/unique graphics here too whatsoever :D
You misunderstood me. "sucky" for me = low res and low level of detail :). Show me a link to a game that you like and you think it has sucky graphics and I'll tell you what's unique in that game :). I never told that gameplay does not matter .
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

there is NO SUCH THING as 'sucky' graphics, unless it is made by a 5 year old in mspaint.
and yet it is unique and someone will take a fancy for it.

Minecrafts grahics isn't sucky, it is Unique.
SMB has awesome graphics, it may be a low res 2D sidescroller, but it is AWESOME.

all graphics have something good about them.
that's the way it is.

but Gameplay is still the most important part.

has anyone ever noticed taht they just dont make games the way they used to?
I mean, SM64, TLoZ: OoT, TLoZ: MM and so on...
AWESOME games.
now:
FPS, FPS, FPS, MMORPG, MMORPG...

basicaslly what there is..
fps, more fps, even more fps.. and some mmorpg, and let's add some more mmorpg....
basically every game made now is a clone to any other game on the shelf.
basically IDENTICAL first person shooters, where the only difference is the arsenal and the maps.
otherwise the same basic objective.
Kill everyone.
WHY CAN'T THE COMPANIES MAKE AWESOME GAMES ANYMORE!?
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
docWild

Post by docWild »

I grew up in the 8-bit era. Do I need to say any more?
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

the 8-bit era is awesome.
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"