.md3 or .x for animations

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Alpha Omega

.md3 or .x for animations

Post by Alpha Omega »

For those people that have experience in importing animations from blender which format is better. I know one offers bone animations while one does morph animation. At this stage of the game I don't have a preference. Anyone could provide any logistics for choosing one over the other?
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Re: .md3 or .x for animations

Post by Cube_ »

err... potato potatoe?
I am not really sure which is best or worst,,,,

all up to personal preference I guess.....
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

It depends on what kind of animations you want. The .x format supports skeletal animation, but not morphing animation. The .md3 format supports morphing but not skeletal.

P.S
Let me clarify: the .x format technically supports morphing animation. However the Irrlicht engine doesn't support morphing with .x meshes.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

Well I haven't used either its my first time doing animations. So maybe I should ask is there any technical difference between them? I am trying to plan for the future. So maybe something that doesn't lock me down to any particular area?
hendu

Post by hendu »

Morph -> more vram used, bigger model size, no anim calculations runtime
Skel -> less vram, smaller model, runtime calculations

CPU vs ram tradeoff.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

hendu wrote:Morph -> more vram used, bigger model size, no anim calculations runtime
Skel -> less vram, smaller model, runtime calculations

CPU vs ram tradeoff.
Don't forget to mention that morph target animation allows detailed per-vertex animations which can be set manually by an artists if required. Skeletal animation can't get this kind of detail

If you need basic movement of characters, vehicles, whatever, I'd say go for skeletal animation and don't worry about morph animation too much. If you're feeling adventurous you could even try to implement hardware skinning to speed up the process
If you need fine-grained animation on a per-vertex level you should try to use both
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I'd say that you went ahead with the X format. Morph animations are okay (and still, you could use them if you wished, for example, that would be the best choice for good facial animations) but skeletal animations have the advantage that for complex meshes (of thousands of polygons) you can resort to GPU skinning, and move the skinning outside of the CPU. Morph animations become more and more expensive as the amount of polygons increase. And they can't be stored statically on the CPU, you have to move them from ram to vram constantly, with the overhead it means.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

And you can extend skeletal animation with IK and dynamically generated animations (like ragdoll physics).

My first full game:
fmx

Post by fmx »

What about .B3D format?
Since you mentioned Blender, I am fairly certain that B3D is a good option for exporting skeletal animation data as well as .X
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

If you use Blender 2.4.x then B3D is the best format. Blender 2.5 and above doesn't have a B3D exporter (at least that I know of).

My first full game: