Irrlicht next gen? :P

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
elvencode

Irrlicht next gen? :P

Post by elvencode »

A demo that impressed me a lot is the one here http://realtimecg.gamedev-pt.net/downlo ... minatu.rar
taken from a nice game tutorial site in the download section http://realtimecg.gamedev-pt.net/
Maybe in the future Irrlicht will be like that? I love the fast shadows and the good use of textures and pixel lighting.
Tequilla

Post by Tequilla »

I think, it could become reality. The main-parts of that engine are 32bit textures (implimented soon in irrlicht), dynamic lights and shadows (implimented), per-pixel-lighting an models with more polygons ;)
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, too bad the demo doesn't run on both my PCs.. it just makes a black screen and beeps. :)
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

it's a demo that show a quite large metallic room with a bridge in the middle. everything is bumpmapped and every column, floor, wall, model is full shadowed based on spot lights movements in a extremely velocity (no slowness at all) and complexity, plus there's pex-pixel lighting and glowing effect of some polygons (line a neon and a shiny white door entrance)
at the end it shows 2 Doom3 models with full detail, light and shadow (like above) again without performance lost (at least with my ATI 8500 LE 64Mb)
however it uses full DirectX 8.1 features that are supported only by GF3, ATI 8500 and up.
in Irrlicht what kind of shadows are used? volume based or not? it'll be good in the future to enhance this things also with projective texturing (for example simulate the light from a torch with a realistic detail)
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Currently there are only shadow volume style shadows in Irrlicht. But maybe someone adds other shadows sometime, would be nice. :)
puh

Post by puh »

elvencode, could you please make screenshot and post it here?
Seems to me the demo runs only in certain type of PC configuration (in my Win200, nVidia2 it couldn't)
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

when i go home i'll take some ones, now i'm at work and this video card doesnt render it. check later ;)
puh

Post by puh »

Is it the same demo (in site you mentioned WIP section):
http://realtimecg.gamedev-pt.net/resear ... _big02.jpg
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

yeah, but it's only the last shot
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

in the site there're other shots so i post something that is not seen in them