Irrlicht in Arch Linux

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
ragnatic

Irrlicht in Arch Linux

Post by ragnatic »

In the past I've used Irrlicht in Ubuntu distros with not a major problem. Now I'm using Arch (x86_64), which is a great distro, and I need to use Irrlicht again.

The compiling went smooth and I can even make the examples and run them but, just to try the compiler, I tried to compile the first example it in Codeblocks and got a bunch of errors retaled to CIrrDeviceLinux.

I followed this guide http://irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.php?n= ... cksOnLinux and in linker settings I added the libraries mentioned in "compiled it normally". In the linker tab of search directories I only added the lib/Linux folder of Irrlicht.

Thanks in advance.
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Irrlicht in Arch Linux

Post by CuteAlien »

We really can't help you unless you actually give us the exact errors.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
ragnatic

Post by ragnatic »

Sorry about that. Here it is.

-------------- Build: Release in Prueba ---------------

Linking console executable: bin/Release/Prueba
/home/ragnarch/Programar/irrlicht-1.7.2/lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.a(CIrrDeviceLinux.o): In function `~CIrrDeviceLinux':
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:131: undefined reference to `XFree'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:141: undefined reference to `glXMakeContextCurrent'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:146: undefined reference to `glXMakeCurrent'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:149: undefined reference to `glXDestroyContext'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:151: undefined reference to `glXDestroyWindow'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:163: undefined reference to `XDestroyWindow'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:164: undefined reference to `XCloseDisplay'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:168: undefined reference to `XFree'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:131: undefined reference to `XFree'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:141: undefined reference to `glXMakeContextCurrent'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:146: undefined reference to `glXMakeCurrent'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:149: undefined reference to `glXDestroyContext'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:151: undefined reference to `glXDestroyWindow'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:163: undefined reference to `XDestroyWindow'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:164: undefined reference to `XCloseDisplay'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:168: undefined reference to `XFree'
/home/ragnarch/Programar/irrlicht-1.7.2/lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.a(CIrrDeviceLinux.o): In function `irr::IrrPrintXError(_XDisplay*, XErrorEvent*)':
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:191: undefined reference to `XGetErrorDatabaseText'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:192: undefined reference to `XGetErrorText'
/home/ragnarch/Programar/irrlicht-1.7.2/lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.a(CIrrDeviceLinux.o): In function `irr::CIrrDeviceLinux::switchToFullscreen(bool)':
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:209: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSwitchToMode'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:210: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSetViewPort'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:231: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeQueryExtension'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:237: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:257: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSwitchToMode'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:258: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSetViewPort'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:267: undefined reference to `XFree'
/home/ragnarch/Programar/irrlicht-1.7.2/lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.a(CIrrDeviceLinux.o): In function `irr::CIrrDeviceLinux::createWindow()':
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:346: undefined reference to `XSetErrorHandler'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:349: undefined reference to `XOpenDisplay'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:353: undefined reference to `XDisplayName'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:354: undefined reference to `XDisplayName'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:371: undefined reference to `glXQueryExtension'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:372: undefined reference to `glXQueryVersion'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:378: undefined reference to `glXGetProcAddress'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:521: undefined reference to `XFree'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:525: undefined reference to `glXGetProcAddress'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:554: undefined reference to `glXChooseVisual'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:562: undefined reference to `glXChooseVisual'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:568: undefined reference to `glXChooseVisual'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:593: undefined reference to `XGetVisualInfo'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:601: undefined reference to `XCloseDisplay'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:614: undefined reference to `XCreateColormap'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:634: undefined reference to `XCreateWindow'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:635: undefined reference to `XMapRaised'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:638: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:639: undefined reference to `XSetWMProtocols'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:642: undefined reference to `XSetInputFocus'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:644: undefined reference to `XGrabKeyboard'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:647: undefined reference to `XGrabPointer'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:649: undefined reference to `XWarpPointer'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:663: undefined reference to `XCreateWindow'
/irrlicht-1.7.2/source/Irrlicht/CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:666: undefined reference to `XGetWindowAttributes'
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 2 seconds)
50 errors, 0 warnings
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

you have to install X11 library, libx11-dev if i'm not mistaken (I'm not on linux now can't check for you)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Just to get that right - you _can_ compile on console? It is only failing in codeblocks?
ragnatic

Post by ragnatic »

CuteAlien wrote:Just to get that right - you _can_ compile on console? It is only failing in codeblocks?
Well, I was only referring to the make of the examples, not compiling. My bad. I can run the examples just fine.

This libx11-dev is not available in pacman.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Sorry, I don't get what you mean. How can you make examples without compiling?
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

I think he means that he is able to run the examples but not compile them... I guess
“Any code of your own that you haven’t looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.”
(Eagleson’s Law)
ragnatic

Post by ragnatic »

If doing a make is in fact compiling then yes. make is always succesful and I can run the binary in the bin/Linux folder. The thing is when I click "compile" in Codeblocks with, let's say, the code of the first example in a new project. That fails and I get the errors shown above.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

If you call make inside the examples folder then you do indeed compile the examples.
Did you try the code::blocks project file coming with Irrlicht or did you make your own project file?
If you make your own then take a look at the linker settings in the project build settings in an Irrlicht-examples. Your project should basically look the same.
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

if he executed the examples than he compiled them because examples aren't precompiled when you download irrlicht source.
my guess is that you forgot to link -lx11. you probably forgot some more but ill check this for you when ill be back home i already set up code::blocks and irrlicht on archlinux.
#include <Iyad.h>
ragnatic

Post by ragnatic »

Finally I got what was wrong. CuteAlien and lyad coments made me look what I had in linker settings. And then I realized my noob mistake... In linker settings I didn't add, one by one, all those libs. I just added all in a single "add library" dialog (Please don't kill me). Thank you all for you effort at helping me.

I have one more question regarding Codeblocks. I can compile but when I run it inside Codeblocks the program seems to get lost at finding the binary just created. I think this has to something to do with the Execution working dir location in Build targets. Even setting it to bin/Release/ doens't work. I get no errors running the binary in the terminal.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

It should use the output filename. And execution working directory sets the working path on startup - which is more important to find data.