Odd white lines.

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Niw Entertainment

Odd white lines.

Post by Niw Entertainment »

Hello,

while programming for my latest game i have noticed a few issues when playing the game on High quality. High quality as in the nVidia control panel high quality.
When i set my preference to quality over performance strange white lines appears on the borders of my objects.

What i'd like to know is why this is happening.

This is what the game looks like when i have my nVidia settings to quality over performance.

Performance over quality.

___

All the textures are 16x16 and so is the block size also they all support alpha.

If you need anymore information let me know :)

edit: I dont know if this problem persists on ATI or Intel Graphics Cards.

Thanks for all the help you can give me.
greenya

Re: Odd white lines.

Post by greenya »

I guess this is because of anti-aliasing enabled.
Your scene consist of distinct blocks (not a single mesh), so they are all been anti-aliased separately.
Niw Entertainment

greenya wrote:I guess this is because of anti-aliasing enabled.
Your scene consist of distinct blocks (not a single mesh), so they are all been anti-aliased separately.
Anti-aliasing is a nice feature though, i'd like to keep that in. So to anti-alias them i'd need to make them all one mesh?

How exactly do i go about doing this?

Thanks

EDIT:

I can confirm it is an AA problem. I disabled it and the lines disappeared but the staircases returned... :p

I did a little research on combining meshes and came across duckys thread on a mesh combiner. irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39598 would this be appropriate to use?

after reading duckys thread apparently it does not work too well with meshes that need to be constantly edited. Like in my game. However it could be done with some modifying apparently.

So I was just wondering whether I should attempt to modify his code or if there was a more efficent way out there.
Last edited by Niw Entertainment on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Niw Entertainment wrote:I did a little research on combining meshes and came across duckys thread on a mesh combiner. irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39598 would this be appropriate to use?
It's quite neat, though I remember there were some problems with it like memory leaks, weird texturing after textures are put into texture atlas. I don't know if they were fixed or not, you should check it out for yourself.
Making a mesh combiner without the texture combiner is quite easy, you could probably write it yourself. I wrote mesh combiner myself (which combined meshes with the same material) on my own just because of the texture problems I had with 'duckys' combiner and it performed really well.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Niw Entertainment

serengeor wrote:
Niw Entertainment wrote:I did a little research on combining meshes and came across duckys thread on a mesh combiner. irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39598 would this be appropriate to use?
It's quite neat, though I remember there were some problems with it like memory leaks, weird texturing after textures are put into texture atlas. I don't know if they were fixed or not, you should check it out for yourself.
Making a mesh combiner without the texture combiner is quite easy, you could probably write it yourself. I wrote mesh combiner myself (which combined meshes with the same material) on my own just because of the texture problems I had with 'duckys' combiner and it performed really well.
Yes I reckon I could give it a go, thanks!
however would it still work when the mesh needs to be edited a lot?
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Niw Entertainment wrote:
serengeor wrote:
Yes I reckon I could give it a go, thanks!
however would it still work when the mesh needs to be edited a lot?
Can't really say, It would require some good algorithms to do it efficiently (removing especially I think, cause you would have to deal with the whole combined mesh) but it should be possible I guess.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).