Replacing the search function

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
REDDemon
Developer

Replacing the search function

Post by REDDemon »

what about replacing the search option of the forum with a Google custom search? Actually it is long finding something using the integrated search. I usually use google to find things on this forum (for example right now I cannot remember the name of the mesh combiner of lonesome so I searched on google "Irrlicht mesh batch" and found it). That will be faster and more intuitive. Also adding the chance to find topics on the wiki isn't bad.(so if the wiki is returned as custom serach result more poeple will read the wiki and more people will contribute to the wiki. What are you feelings about that?
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Replacing the search function

Post by CuteAlien »

My feeling is that if you use google already then you shouldn't be bothered much by the forum search anyway. I generally like it since we updated the forum, for example I don't know how I could filter with google for users-names additionally to search-strings. And that is something I use all the time as I often rather remember who wrote certain posts than the exact words.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
sudi

Post by sudi »

CuteAlien wrote:My feeling is that if you use google already then you shouldn't be bothered much by the forum search anyway. I generally like it since we updated the forum, for example I don't know how I could filter with google for users-names additionally to search-strings. And that is something I use all the time as I often rather remember who wrote certain posts than the exact words.
Same for me! I really don't like forums that use google as search engine bc of that.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Sudi wrote:
CuteAlien wrote:My feeling is that if you use google already then you shouldn't be bothered much by the forum search anyway. I generally like it since we updated the forum, for example I don't know how I could filter with google for users-names additionally to search-strings. And that is something I use all the time as I often rather remember who wrote certain posts than the exact words.
Same for me! I really don't like forums that use google as search engine bc of that.
Agreed
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

The idea of including the wiki in results is nice tho, but i'm not sure whether would it be possible to integrate it into the forum search
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

great idea.
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"