Windows 8

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Strong99
Admin

Re: Windows 8

Post by Strong99 »

@ACE247, maybe the most pirated but it shows that its more used than Open Office and gaming. Most games run on it doesn't say its build for it ;) The games are build for windows not the other way around. Gaming OS is MS Xbox, Ps2 and such ;) And so I agree with serengeor. But please note, Open Office has less features than MS Office, way less. Open Office is useful for more basic "home" usage. I used both in my company.

@Grantye: yes, but there are always people who think they can develop a better and probably a more easier language. reason why there are sooo many languages. Though, using c++ on a client website doesn't sound safe... If used, one should force the compiler to build against different libraries, one for web, one for the operating system etc. you could mix etc. Running such code in a virtual environment like java, c# allows the creator to build better security support etc.
docWild

Post by docWild »

I'm no fan of windows but I do have to acknowledge the superiority of Office. Especially Word. However, their move to the ribbon style menus means that I will never buy another copy.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

No I stand with my point. Windows is MADE for gaming! They use it as a marketing point, and always have, all the way since the release of DirectX by Microsoft in the early 90's.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Actually Unix was also made for gaming - it was originally written because Ken Thompson needed a platform to get his Space Travel game running on his new PDP-7 ;-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

But that's not a marketing point of Unix Systems! ;)
But then again gaming is fine with me (not really..) since it pushes GPU developers to make better and better cards, so I can use them for ever crazier computations! On Linux... :D
hendu

Post by hendu »

iOS and PS3 OS are BSD derivatives - unix.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Ok Ok but now you're stretching it... :)
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

hendu wrote:iOS and PS3 OS are BSD derivatives - unix.
Agreed about the PS3's CellOS, which is in fact a FreeBSD derivate. The iOS however is Darwin-based, which does have some elements from BSD, but calling it a unix-derivative goes a bit far IMO
hendu

Post by hendu »

Darwin forms the core set of components upon which Mac OS X, Apple TV, and iOS are based. It is compatible with the Single UNIX Specification version 3 (SUSv3)
The first and second paragraphs of Wikipedia say it has BSD parts, and is officially Unix (tm) (C) (R). ;)
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Anything Apple has gotten their hands on is bound to be more Apple than anything else. It might have been derived from Unix a long long time ago, but if that 'really' still holds true... I don't care to speculate.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

all programs in windows 8 will be written in javascript? o.o javascript is slowwwwww. should check out all the webGL demos, slow as hell.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

It thought getting to hell was fast? :lol:
rubenwardy

Post by rubenwardy »

Personally i still like .Net (VB)
Its less 'fussy' than c++ (although c++ is bigger is it?)
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

I downloaded the Consumer Preview and the Visual Studio 11 Beta. I really like the Metro style apps, but I hate having to re-learn everything about Windows programming. Irrlicht doesn't support metro style apps either...
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar