prob with adding node to other animated bone-joint mesh node

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
wanliqun

Re: prob with adding node to other animated bone-joint mesh

Post by wanliqun »

CuteAlien wrote: edit: Can you please tell the exact environment you use? I see Windows XP and compiler seems to be VS. Which VS version are you using? Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit system? And do you compile for 32-bit or 64-bit? Do you compile debug or release? The thing is that the only reason I could think of right now is that it might run in som floating-point troubles which just don't show up on all systems maybe.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using vc2008 version 9.0.21022.8 RTM. It is on the 32-bit windows XP SP3 system. I compiled for 32 bit for debug.
wanliqun

Post by wanliqun »

Any updates on this? Anyway, this could be really a huge bug.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Tricky problem. I can give you a workaround which will probably work in your case... I'm just not sure yet if it will work in the general case as well or if it will just lead to the next hard-to-find problem another time.

In matrix4.h getRotationDegrees change

Code: Select all

if (!core::iszero(C))

to

if (!core::iszero((irr::f32)C))

and recompile the engine.

I'm currently wondering if I can find out the real margin of error for which I have to check there somehow.
Funny enough this gives different results in gcc and vs - maybe processor got set into single-precision mode in VS somewhere (otherwise it calculates with doubles internally reducing such problems), but usually shouldn't happen in OpenGL (at least I thought so).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
wanliqun

Post by wanliqun »

Thanks for the workaround. It works now here. As you said this might be a tricky problem, and here's something I got on my way for testing, hopefully it is helpful.
  • 1. The code works great with the old irrlicht version(0.14)
    2. The code with irrlicht 1.7.2 doesn't work neither with my android build, not only windows vc2008 building.
netpipe

Post by netpipe »

add sleep(1,0); to your demo for the heat prob
Live long and phosphor!
-- https://github.com/netpipe/Luna Game Engine Status 95%
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Oh I know the problem - just finding a correct solution is hard.

The problem is for example visible in this matrix:

matrix4 mtrouble;
        mtrouble[0] = -1.1920929e-007;
        mtrouble[1]     = 1.1920929e-007;
        mtrouble[2]     = -1.0000001;
        mtrouble[3]     = 0.00000000;
        mtrouble[4]     = 1.0000001;
        mtrouble[5]     = -1.1920929e-007;
        mtrouble[6]     = 0.00000000;
        mtrouble[7]     = 0.00000000;
        mtrouble[8]     = 0.00000000;
        mtrouble[9]     = -1.0000001;
        mtrouble[10] = -2.3841858e-007;
        mtrouble[11] = 0.00000000;
        mtrouble[12] = 4.0880629e-008;
        mtrouble[13] = 19.588606;
        mtrouble[14] = 4.1348953;
        mtrouble[15] = 1.0000000;

// will have wrong result in VS 
        vector3df rotDeg( mtrouble.getRotationDegrees() );

The reason it goes wrong is that check I posted above is not having a large enough epsilon, so it enters the wrong code after the if. I guess we used only floats in the past and so got a larger epsilon on that check (which I got back by that cast - could also have passed it directly). And the reason why it only happens on VS and not on gcc seems to be that they support different IEEE 754 versions (VS probably still using IEEE 754-1985 which didn't define float to double casts as strict as IEEE 754-2008 - at least that's what some guys in the ##c++ channel told me when I showed up with this problem), so VS is adding a larger error on a cast.

The problem I'm having is that I don't know how large that error can be. I can just use ROUNDING_ERROR_f32 and hope it fits - maybe I'll do that as it will fix your case. But "hoping" for the correct value is rarely a good idea - just doing that could mean another person will run into this in a few months and I'll start debugging again (and this took long to debug, I spend hours just figuring out where this bug comes from). Then again I'm a little over my head right now in calculating this error - fixing this correctly would probably take me a very long time (talking days, weeks here) because I would first have to figure out how to calculate error-margins that can happen in this specific situation (not sure if that's even possible given that I have no control over the original matrix values).

Well ... I guess the only way I can do for now is to use ROUNDING_ERROR_f32 and document that I have no idea if that value is ok or not *sigh*. Probably increasing it again next time someone reports a bug there. I hope some floating point expert has one day fun calculating the correct value :-(
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm