Should we have separate French / German /Spanish/etc areas

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Have separate language areas?

Yes
15%
No
85%
I have a better idea...
No votes
unsure
No votes

Total votes: 20

dingo

Should we have separate French / German /Spanish/etc areas

Post by dingo »

I've noticed a lot of non-English posts lately. I think I know what question is being asked but I can't reply becuase I can't be sure my answer is the answer being sought.

Would it be to everyone's respective advantage to have a dedicated French / German /Spanish / etc etc board within this forum?

That way a German-only speaker could find German posts more easily.

I know there is a separate forum of Russian speakers already.
-= Want your C code to control real life robots? www.users.on.net/~symes =-

Post by Guest »

At the risk of sounding unpopular here: no.

Here's what'll happen if the forums are split:
1. People who speak French, German, whatever, will post their questions in their own forums.
2. People who don't speak those languages will not visit those forums, so they won't be around to help answer the questions.

In other words: you split the community, and that makes for a lot of smaller, weaker (in knowledge) communities.

If you leave the forums as they are, there is certainly a language obstacle, but suppose someone asks a question in a different language:
1. People who speak the same language can answer directly if they know the question already - and they're more likely to notice the post because it's in their native language.
2. Even if they don't know the answer to the question, they can at least help others understand what the question is.
dingo

Post by dingo »

True but what about the fact a German-only speaker has to wade through lots and lots of English posts s/he can't understand. If there was a German only area that would help him/her rather than just leaving after finding it is just another English based group.

Of course it might be solved if posts can be marked one language or another and then the search engine can delinierate based on language
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Everything should be kept in English. It's even not Niko's native language and he uses it. Particular things or questions in a specific language could be handled through PMs.

It's also good for programming's sake.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I voted no.

When someone reads a thread in his language, he quickly hits that one.

German, french, spanish, italian , etc, ppl should go learning a bit of english, is what we all use to get in touch, I'm not about thinking english is great or something, but it has becoem quite international.

Besides, a forums witha few threads, taking dust on another language, will leave those quite isolated, and imho they'll advance more if besides some one sometimes answering their language, they deduce solutions from english posts...

I can reply a french question if I deduce -happens ;)- what it means. I wont do the extra effort to get into a foreign language section. For me is already too bad fragmenting forums...makes one loose more time...I prefer centralized stuff, it's quicker...the thread tittle should be enough...

IMO, in computers, you slowly or quickly, gotta learn english, no matter if ur gfx person, or coder...is a matter of need...too much doc and resources is in that language..as plain as that. IMO , english is quite easier than C++ ...lol...

My 2 cents of an euro
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
dingo

Post by dingo »

Ha, don't get me wrong - As an Australian my first preference is that everyone else learn English :) So I don't have to learn anything besides English
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

C++ - An English based programming language.

It's probably best if you at least know what commands mean if they were English loop. While, For, If, Not, all in English. Therefore I think it is reasonable for people to learn basic English if only to understand what they are coding.

To add to that, making the effort is always nice. I will attempt to speak French to someone who attempts to speak English, at least they had a go at communicating with me and I can take it from there. That has to be the best way to go. I think more people can at least speak pigon English and I can definatly understand that 99% of the time.
bal

Post by bal »

I voted no. It would split up the community like "Guest" said. And that's just the nice thing I like about internet communities, people from all over the world talking about the same stuff :). And I rather read some broken English from a person who tried to speak it than a foreign language (no English). Though those foreign languages can be interesting too sometimes.
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

No!!!
My English is poor, but i like use it to discuss programming problems with all world.
dingo

Post by dingo »

Excellent!!!

You can all learn my language rather than the other way around :)
nutterx

Post by nutterx »

dingo wrote:Excellent!!!

You can all learn my language rather than the other way around :)
hey another aussie on here!! ...how ya doin mate :D
dingo

Post by dingo »

I've been flat out as as lizard drinking. Exams etc.

Now it is time for some serious coding :)

I noticed a third aussie, he was from Brisbane as well!

So where in this great brown land of ours are you?
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

If you don't like English, blame England for spreading over most of the world in the last 5 centuries.

Or, we could start over any everyone who wants to talk here needs to learn Esparanto. =D
Crud, how do I do this again?
DrBenito

Post by DrBenito »

the only esperanto i ever knew was the word for Pineapple :) which i seem to have now forgotten :? think it may have been annanasso or something.

hmmm... think i'll stick to english :)

altho it's not _all_ england's fault :) with the US producing more software recently american-english has spread more strongly and quicker ;)

anyhoo... i'm trying to learn a bit of spanish and cantonese, so it all helps :)

Ben
dingo

Post by dingo »

saigumi wrote:If you don't like English, blame England for spreading over most of the world in the last 5 centuries.

Or, we could start over any everyone who wants to talk here needs to learn Esparanto. =D
lol, well when Queen Victoria ruled a quarter of the world we didn't have major world wars etc but now since the League of Nations / UN we have all these major conflicts.

I say in the name of peace we get rid of the UN and replace it with the Queen! Rule Brittania!