Unreal Engine 4

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
fmx

Unreal Engine 4

Post by fmx »

Just found this, worth sharing with you guys
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/05/f ... 1?pid=2554

What do you think?
IMO this is all thanks to awesome artists and more powerful hardware, the tech itself hasn't evolved too much.
But whichever way you look at it, irrlicht needs to get a move on... :shock:
Lil Margin

Re: Unreal Engine 4

Post by Lil Margin »

I fully agree with you fmx
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Irrlicht is still stuck in '99. With an ever shrinking portal to the future.
Although, I must add: Unreal Engine's tools are just as outdated and clunky to use despite all of their development that is supposed to improve usability.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I guess that the Unreal guys will move finally to deferred rendering, as Crytek, and will start throwing in tesellation besides, In fact, the path of the middleware i think that will be aimed to the ease of use, because the graphics can hardly improve. And let's not forget that ultrarrealistic graphics were posible since a long time, only on prerrendered images, of course, so, all of this is already invented. Only now it can render in real time.

Right now, for the unreal engine to be complete, they should practically include in their editor a 3D modeller. Blender should make its way into it :D
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

Well, I would maybe use the unreal engine, but the license is horrible, well UE3 has a horrible license at least (compared to zlib though)
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"