Zero Point II

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
xhrit

Zero Point II

Post by xhrit »

xhrit.com/8-bitHELL announces 'Zero Point II', the next installment in the scrolling shooter series 'Zero Point'! ZPII will feature the same retro game themes and fast action style ov play, whilst improving on the original zero point game in every way; most notably an extendable object class that allows 1000's ov unique items to be found! Arm and lead a full wing ov advanced craft across infinite space in an epic battle for unlimited energy!

Zero Point II uses the irrlicht graphics engine, the irrlicth common engine, and will be released for free in both Linux and Microsoft Windows PC platforms.
Last edited by xhrit on Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Core2Duo E8400 3.0ghz - 2048mb DDR2 800 - geForce 9600 - Slackware12.1

Word-image-symbol programming limits, controls, and imprisons the individual.
Smash the control images, smash the control machine.
Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

looks good, but I cannot find a download link
http://www.games-forge.de - Die Community für Nachwuchsprogrammierer
xhrit

no download

Post by xhrit »

A public download is not available yet. I will post a link here when there is one.

xhrit

Post by xhrit »

http://www.xhrit.com/Naisoft/index.cfm? ... site_ID=52

ZeroPointII LX & XP Betas - download now!

Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I believe the term is..

Jumping the Gun

...not going to bother downloading this now that it is here..mostly because I lost my ambition to play side scrollers back in the nintendo days..

funny how you would waste so much coding time with a game that could have been done alot easier with programs like game maker. although there re advantages of using a 3d engine and from the looks of your other project I'm sure you took full advantage of them.

it's ok Mr. lazy tella tubby guy I'm sure someone enjoys your projects.

just not this guy.
xhrit

Post by xhrit »

ok, lol. i'm sorry, but when you have done something - anything at all, come back and show me.

buhatkj

neat, more effects?

Post by buhatkj »

looks like fun, good old-fashioned fun :-)
tho, the idea occurs to me that it might be fun to add some 3d style effects to it, like the ships and enemies are 2d, but you have 3d-ish explosions and beams and bullets....and what the hell, add some 3d obstacles, like asteroids or something. would give it that sort of 2d character in a 3d world feel. ever see ghost in the shell??? like that, but with spaceships :-)
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

The game looks really cool. :D :D :D

Thanks to it, i can remember some old great games ;)

May the Brain be with you ;)
xhrit

Post by xhrit »

buhatkj - I'm working up to it. there IS a reason i used a 3d engine; someday there is to be a ZeroPoint3D! I want to get all the data in place before I start working on 3d graphics - a 2d sprite is much easier to make then a 3d model + a texture, and I don't know any people who can make 3d models other then myself... I know a lot ov pixel pushers... and I need to spend my time programming, not making game resources...

lol. I won't even think about working on 3d stuff it till next year - zp2 needs to be finished first; I was a bad programmer and hard coded everything. :oops: midnight was right on one thing : I did rush to get it done. 1 2 week vacation from work = 12 20h hack sessions... heh. not exactly clean code, but hey - it works. I am going to make it work nicer before I call it done and before I start making everything in the game 3d, some features need to be added and as I have enough 2d game resources for a ZP2 expansion set anyway, I'll make one ov those. (there were a lot ov ship & weapon sprites made, including a whole spriteset ov organic alien ships).

dawasw - my favorite game ov all time is nethack, and nothing ever made even comes close to being as good a game as it. gameplay is everything when it comes to playing games. Graphics just exist to allow the user to visualize the situation. gameplay is what makes good games fun, good graphics, more often then not, just makes bad games look cool. (Doom3?)

Oz

Post by Oz »

[quote]dawasw - my favorite game ov all time is nethack, and nothing ever made even comes close to being as good a game as it. gameplay is everything when it comes to playing games. Graphics just exist to allow the user to visualize the situation. gameplay is what makes good games fun, good graphics, more often then not, just makes bad games look cool. (Doom3?)[/b]

Lol I agree.
I cant download your demo still though.

BTW have you played that game where your ship fires either black or white bullets and all baddies are either black or white then depending on that damage can be claculated even blocked. Ive heard that adds a twist to the gameplay.
"When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw what heights civilization can attain.
When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height." -Keeper Annals
(Thief2: The Metal Age)
Oz

:)

Post by Oz »

Hey thats cool xhrit, thanks! (I got it to download finally, network problems)

I think my black/white suggestion might be a good idea, though. (its quite original)
"When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw what heights civilization can attain.
When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height." -Keeper Annals
(Thief2: The Metal Age)
xhrit

Post by xhrit »

Oz : the more I think about your black and white idea the more i like it. Ov course, i have changed it drasticly... but when i start working on ZP2 again, i am going to make it part ov the xeropoint game system..

Aloha

nice...

Post by Aloha »

Hey, I'm a huge fan of those types of games! Can really be addicting when in arcade! Here's my tip: figure out how to get joystick compatibility, and i would be sold. Beef up some graphics, but thats easy anyways. I like lots of ships flying at me so i can really kick their butt! haha, nice, i love it!
dingo

Post by dingo »

Yeah some of the best games ever (IMO of course) were made for the Amiga 500 - man that rocked!
-= Want your C code to control real life robots? www.users.on.net/~symes =-
xhrit

Post by xhrit »

Space Craft Sub System Analysis v 1.0 (tnx to oz for the idea!)

/// Armour ///

Various composite materials provide basic protection against all forms ov attack.

/// Shields ///

Gravometrics (Reflector; i.e. white shield)
A gravity based 'shield' provides protection from energy attacks by reflecting or deflecting the energy away.Useful against weapons with low mass and high velocity such as lasers. Gravometrics provide no assistance dealing with other threats. It is worthy to note that Gravometric shields will stop an attack by reflecting an attack, or it won't and you will take full damage. Gravometric shields are visible as a Yellow or red hexagon.

Plasmoids (Absorber; i.e. black shield)
A Plasma based 'shield' provides protection from physical impacts by absorbing kinetic energy. Useful against collisions, the blunt effects ov cannons and missiles and other high mass, low velocity objects. Plasmoid shields provide little protection against other attacks. A plasma shield will degrade attacks until it's threshhold has been breached, and in any case may allow some material to penetrate the shield. Plasmoid shields are visible as a Purple or blue ring.

Notes On Weapons :

Each weapon projectile has a mass and velocity attribute. This statistic is used to find actual damage inflicted v.s.type ov substance hit (Plasma/Grav/Armour).

Cannons/rockets/missiles : high mass, low velocity. Good against armour; Bad against Plasmoid shields; however sustained assault will break the Plasmoid shield damage threshhold. Excellent against Gravametric Shields. high rate of fire, medium ammunition consumption.

Lasers, Masers, Xasers, etc : low mass, high velocity. Good against armour; Excellent against Plasmoids. Useless against Gravometric shields. Medium rate of fire, excellent ammunition consumption.

Ion & Plasma : low mass, low velocity. good against any shields, bad against armour. high rate of fire, excellent ammunition consumption.

Gauss/Mass Drivers : High mass, high velocity. good against shields, good against armour. low rate of fire, poor ammunition consumption.

Aloha : per request, joystic support is to be added in next version. :)