[q] Visual Basic .net

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

[q] Visual Basic .net

Post by Guest »

Hello,

1: The engine is great !!!
2: I'm not a really good c++ programmer but a better Visual Basic .net programmer. So my question is:
"Is it possible to use the Irrlicht Engine with Visual Basic .net ?"

I have seen that the main engine is a dll and my idea was to use this dll from visual basic.

Thanks for your support !
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Unfortunately, no. It is not currently possible to use Irrlicht in VB. From what I've seen, it would require making a wrapper for VB, but it's not in Niko or anyone else's, that I have seen, plans.

Quite a few of us have started learning C++ (including myself) to use this engine and because Irrlicht is very easy to use, it almost feels like Visual Basic. =)
Crud, how do I do this again?

Post by Guest »

Hello,

thank you very much for your post.
I thinks i have no choice. I have to learn c++.
My problem isn't the main c++ laguage (i've learned it in school).
The difficult thing is the way of writing the classes.

But i think i will learn it in future :wink:

Thanks for your support !
corban

Post by corban »

Anonymous wrote: The difficult thing is the way of writing the classes.
when you (it seems you already did) mastered the difficult part (pointer & memory) the rest is easy. a hint that i found useful for myself: don't bother with this typical way of learning object oriented programming (i mean these abstract things like "imagine class Animal, now we make class Dog which inherits from Animal..."). start with a real world thing and i think irrlicht is a very good way of learning OO programming, because a) it has a good OO structure and even uses interfaces and b) you get cool 3d feedback while learning c++ and not only some numbers on stdout :D .

cu,
corban
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

i agree too i tried to learn C++ from sams teach yourself C++ in 24 hours and at about chapter 8 i almost gave up
that was the chapter on classes and all of the stuff on class cat and simplecat just confused me and i quit reading
after using irrlicht for a week and going over the tutorials tweeking them and reading the api about twice i learned c++ better than by reading a book on how to program

thanks niko you probably cut the time for me to learn how to program in half.

you also gave me a reason to learn the confusing stuff. you showed me what this stuff could*DO* not just what it did