Irrlicht Lime is a .NET wrapper for Irrlicht Engine

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
WaxyChicken

Re: Irrlicht Lime is a .NET wrapper for Irrlicht Engine

Post by WaxyChicken »

I'm currently using IrrlichtLime 0.9.1 release with irrlicht 1.8.0 Alpha.

If i were to upgrade to the latest Lime & accompanying Irrlicht combo then:

1 - would an extensive rewrite be required or just some minor tweaks?
2 - would it fix that annoying FPS Camera jump-fly problem?

Flying Jump - stand under a ledge. jump so your head hits the ledge and keep your jump held down. move out from under the ledge and you begin to fly ridiculously high.

a simple fix would be:
if bumping head then cancel current jumping and re-enable falling gravity
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

WaxyChicken wrote:2 - would it fix that annoying FPS Camera jump-fly problem?

Flying Jump - stand under a ledge. jump so your head hits the ledge and keep your jump held down. move out from under the ledge and you begin to fly ridiculously high.

a simple fix would be:
if bumping head then cancel current jumping and re-enable falling gravity
That's probably irrlicht bug, and if it's not fixed in irrlicht I don't think it would be fixed here either. FPS cammera wasn't really made to be used in real projects afaik, only for simple navigation through levels.

To avoid this bug you could create your own animator that would do what you need.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
greenya

Post by greenya »

WaxyChicken wrote:1 - would an extensive rewrite be required or just some minor tweaks?
Just make backup your files, download Lime 1.1 and get new Irrlicht.dll, IrrlichtLime.dll and IrrlichtLime.xml. I don't know what you use in your project so cannot say what you will have to tweak. All changes that i made are listed in changes.txt. Probably you will not need to tweak anyhting. If you have problems with compiliing after moving to 1.1 - post here the errors.
WaxyChicken wrote:2 - would it fix that annoying FPS Camera jump-fly problem?
If this is Irrcliht' bug, and its not fixed, then Lime 1.1 also has this bug.
bdpdonp

Post by bdpdonp »

Has anyone found a good pysics engine to use with irrlichtLime? I have scouring google and trying different ones but all C# engines seem to have some XNA dependency or very poorly documented. Also, they seem to want to control the game with their own game loops.
WaxyChicken

Post by WaxyChicken »

Some people swear by bullet sharp, but as you say - lack of documentation.
bdpdonp

Post by bdpdonp »

BEPUphysics is an XNA physics engine but from their main page there is a link to a No Dependency version that I have been experimenting with. I wrote a few simple methods to convert from their vectors to IrrlichtLime and it appears to do fine.
dupko

Post by dupko »

greenya wrote:The shadows don't work in DirectX in Irrlicht too.
This is the screenshot of what i have with trunk rev. 4098 (the latest)
http://filebeam.com/7b662773589e03a0482 ... b4f791.jpg

P.S.: but yes, with 1.7.3 release there is no such problem.
Link is broken :roll:
greenya

Post by greenya »

Well, filebeam.com is not responding right now, maybe some maintenance on the way :)
bdpdonp

Post by bdpdonp »

Irrlicht allows the use of encrypted archives, does lime support encryption of archives? I looked through the source and did not find it, but then I do not wear glasses because I have perfect sight :)
greenya

Post by greenya »

Yes, Lime support all kind of archives that Irrlicht does. Since Lime is just a wrapper and native Irrlicht.dll comes along with Lime and reads all type of archives, texture formats and mesh formats.
JuggernautIRR

Post by JuggernautIRR »

Sir, can you please tell us what libraries can we use with irrlichtLime for SOUND, PHYSICS, PARTICLE SYSTEM (SPARK2) and AI - are there .NET wrappers available for these also ? Because we need a full stack to create a complete game.

Does lime work with .NET 2.0 , 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 ? And is there any tutorials (similar to C++ ones) and class library documentation available ? Is the current version of lime stable enough for production use ?

Thanks,
greenya

Post by greenya »

Well, i didn't searched for sound, particle system and ai in particular by myself. So cannot say for sure.

About physics: i tried to used BulletSharp and it was successful (at least for small sample that i made), i do not added it to Lime examples because it requires bulletsharp.dll which is 1,5mb (not small just for one small example). Cannot say anything about performance (about comparision in c++ since never used it, can say only that its possible to use it and it works :) ) The code to quick look http://pastebin.com/N75qzpzp

Lime does work with .NET 4.0.
There is no tutorials, only examples (on C#) provided with SDK.
For documentation you can use almost on 95%+ Irrlicht native documentation link - http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/index.html , Lime also has IntelliSense xml file, which VisualStudio 2010 uses automatically and help you with types. Not all namespaces documented, no intellisense for Scene and GUI namespaces.

About stability. Well, i didn't use Lime in big projects yet, so cannot say for sure. I can say is that all examples works fine, they are stable and has no memory leaks. Anyway, you should trust anything i say about stability, if i would you and decide to develop something big on something new, i would rather test it by my self by writing some small project, check features and performance, if it satisfies me.
JuggernautIRR

Post by JuggernautIRR »

The big question is how to get the other parts (Sound, AI, Physics, Particle System) working with Lime ?

There is bulletsharp and other variants but they lack detailed documentation. But bulletsharp alone won't be useful. We will need something for the sound and the spark2 particle system to create a complete game framework. For the AI there is opensteerdotnet - but there is NO documentation on how to use those cs files.
Can you please give some hints on how to use opensteerdotnet along with LIME ? You seem to be very conversant with C# and irrlicht.
bdpdonp

Post by bdpdonp »

I have found an overload of Draw2DImage that does not work in Lime.

Code: Select all

virtual void draw2DImage(const video::ITexture* texture, const core::rect<s32>& destRect,
                             const core::rect<s32>& sourceRect, const core::rect<s32>* clipRect =0,
                             const video::SColor * const colors=0, bool useAlphaChannelOfTexture=false) =0;
The destRect lime requires the vector type. I was hoping to take a larger image and pull it into a smaller device resolution.
greenya

Post by greenya »

Lime has next overloadings for VideoDriver.Draw2DImage():

Code: Select all

void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Recti^ destRect, Recti^ sourceRect, Recti^ clipRect, List<Color^>^ colors, bool useAlphaChannelOfTexture);
    void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Recti^ destRect, Recti^ sourceRect, Recti^ clipRect, List<Color^>^ colors);
    void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Recti^ destRect, Recti^ sourceRect, Recti^ clipRect);
    void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Recti^ destRect, Recti^ sourceRect);
    void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Vector2Di^ destPos, Recti^ sourceRect, Recti^ clipRect, Color^ color, bool useAlphaChannelOfTexture);
    void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Vector2Di^ destPos, Recti^ sourceRect, Recti^ clipRect, Color^ color);
    void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Vector2Di^ destPos, Recti^ sourceRect, Recti^ clipRect);
    void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Vector2Di^ destPos, Recti^ sourceRect);
    void Draw2DImage(Texture^ texture, Vector2Di^ destPos);
P.S.: Furthermore, overloading with Recti is used in 06.2DGraphics example at line 75.