Black Raven Studio Now Hiring Programmers

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
aburt11

Black Raven Studio Now Hiring Programmers

Post by aburt11 »

Hey there!

Black raven studio is currently looking for some skilled programmers to assist in the development of their first title and engine.
The game engine is based off irrlicht so experience is a must, we are also looking for people with skill in logic, AI and network programming.
It is also a plus if you have experience in multiple platforms.
This is a paid position via commission which means you will be paid a percentage of the total profit. For more information about the project,
visit www.blackravenstudio.webs.com

if you are interested in working for us, please shoot us an email at aburton.live@gmail.com

We look forward to hearing from you :D
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Black Raven Studio Now Hiring Programmers

Post by CuteAlien »

aburt11 wrote:This is a paid position via commission which means you will be paid a percentage of the total profit.
So this means it is an unpaid position (it's not a paid position when you pay in promises).
Also wrong forum (this one is for discussions about Irrlicht), so I'm moving the thread.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

On your website you say:
News about the project etc will be broadcasted on this site until i have enough money to launch an independent site!
Strange that you're hiring programmers and yet you can't even afford to host a website.

That's like I would "hire" some programmers to do a project for me and they would take let's say 50% of the cash we would earn and I would take the other 50% just because I "hired" them. Kind of missing logic. :roll:
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
aburt11

Post by aburt11 »

it's an indie studio so of course we don't have a very big budget. Right now we have 6 artists and only one programmer. I'm looking for people who want to get paid at a stage, it's better than not being paid at all. IMO if you're going to be annoying and poke holes in the strategy, please, don't post.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Yes please post, because the strategy is swiss cheese...
aburt11

Post by aburt11 »

hmm swiss cheese of course, because right now my broke ass really needs to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into hiring people and then making no profit when it comes to ship time, maybe even more debt, or I can find people who are willing to work on a game for experience and money when it comes out.
also, i would like to see your products, skills, services in action before you abuse mine. It has taken me a year to develop a game engine and game, now I need to find people who can continue my work as I have become unfit for work thanks to depression. I'm ultimately trying to find someone skilled to carry on the programming so i dont let my other team members down.
hendu

Post by hendu »

It's cool what you try to do, we just object to your using the word "hiring" for it.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

The problem is that this is pretty much what everyone who's been around a little longer has seen a few times already. Or some of us even got trapped by this themselves or know people to whom it happened (I know several...). Which is also the reason why you get this very critical response to any project that promises to pay when money comes in - it just fails so regularly. A few guys trying to pull it off without money, taking on too much and then dragging on simply because so much was already invested and not knowing how to stop the project without letting everyone down. Do you really want to drag another programmer into this? He will likely be in the same situation soon.

Sometimes it's better giving everyone who was involved the rights to his materials and promise to make it better next time. They can try to sell parts, or they can use the material as demo-reel. Keep contact to the people and maybe once you can figure out financing full-time work on it pull the people back together for a new project. There is a reason that developing games is usually more expensive that buying a house, it really takes long to get to a release and even when it looks already great after 1-2 months it often drags on 1-2 years in the end.

Or the alternative - opensource the game and make sure everyone involved knows that continuing means working on it for fun and experience and not for profit.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm