DirectX 9.0 Support?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
devnull

DirectX 9.0 Support?

Post by devnull »

So, on the downloads page and the archived news page, it talks about a DX9.0 module for Irrlicht. However, it's marked as deprecated and there is no way to download the code (even to use as an example to look at). What happened to it?
Hows my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

It was made by someone else, not Niko. I was wondering if he was going to make another for the new version. He may have gotten tired of making a new one each time a new version of the engine was released...
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

I believe I may still have a copy of it.

I had played with it a little, but since there wasn't many major usable changes on a base level between 9 and 8.1, I didn't mind sticking with 8.1.

When I get home, I could upload it to my server for informational purposes. I would update it myself if I wasn't currently working on 3 projects. =)
Crud, how do I do this again?
devnull

Post by devnull »

So if the code is available to make the engine up to date with 9.0, why would the engine stick with 8.1? Not a criticism at all, I'm just honestly curious.

Post by Guest »

Hi guys! :D

I'm the author of the DX9 module for Irrlicht. I didn't got time to make the DX9 driver when 0.4 was released, so I decided I'd update it when Irrlicht 0.5 came up. But if somebody "really" needs it, I could make an effort and release it for the upcoming 0.42 version.

Julio Gorgé
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

I know about not having time... I vote for v0.5
devnull

Post by devnull »

Time issues I understand =)

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure why it even would be a separate module instead of part of the core functionality of the engine. Even having a DX8 AND a DX9 component seems doable.