3ds max files?

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Spartacus

3ds max files?

Post by Spartacus »

I tried to make one of my own scenes using 3d studio max 5.1 but after exporting as a .3ds file it does not work as the ones in the examples do. I am not sure why? Does anyone know how I can correct this?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

How does it not work exactly?
  • Does the engine print something like "unsupported format"?
  • Is the returned pointer simply 0?
  • Does the engine crash?
  • Freeze?
  • Does the loaded mesh look wrong?
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

also my 3ds files NOT exported from anim8tor or wings3d, many times doesnt work. they dont load because the file format is too newer. however with another 3ds loader code it loads :P
niko, the 3ds models are rendered only with face normals? there's no options to have vertex normals? i've a tree to render and the branches are a little too squared ;)
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Ah, I've added some fixed in 0.4.2 maybe it works then. For the normals, sure, I could add this sometime :)
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

for example, try this model http://www.3dcafe.com/models/pine01.zip
There's a wrong triangle beginning from the bottom of the tree and finishing on top of it, in anim8tor or other viewer i dont see that triangle. Also, is possible to set the leafs to be rendered on both sides and with alpha trasparency? these 2 things will be useful :)
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

The problem with this model is that it has lots of triangles, more than 65000 per material. This is a problem with the 3ds loader in irrlicht, it currently does not split the polygons up into more meshbuffers. I'll change this with the next versions.
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

thanks for ALWAYS working on my requests :) you're a invaluable worker ;)
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

well after trying to debug the code i found it crashes with a error once it tries to load or maybe even when it tries to read the .3ds file. Engine doesn't even display a message it just crashes. I exported it the normal file->export way using 3ds max v5.1 and it its not like i added anything big only a small box :/
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

If you could send me this file, I maybe would be able improve this behavior :)
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Which file exactly? The code or the 3ds max file?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

the 3ds file
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

did you get it emailed it to you hopefully engine will soon erm interpret it? lol
or do you know of a way i can convert my 3ds files now?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Yes, I got it, but I had no time yet to debug the code. I'll post a solution or write if or how it will be fixed when I had the time. :)
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Ok, just was wondering, and if anyone knows any exporters that work currently would be nice :/ just cuz I am in a hurry to make things cuz im excited 0.o
malachi

multirez?

Post by malachi »

perhaps temporarily, you could multirez the tri count of your mesh down to something the engine could handle.

i loaded a huge terrain scene, originally it failed, but then multirezd it down to 33% of original tri and it loads correctly now :roll: