Quake 3 Map problems

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

Quake 3 Map problems

Post by Guest »

Hi there

I have problems with loading third-party quake 3 maps in irrlicht. I just copied the two lines from the Quake3Map example which read as follows:

device->getFileSystem()->addZipFileArchive("C:\\test\\mymap.pk3");
IAnimatedMesh* mesh = smgr->getMesh("mymap.bsp");

The ZIP is correctly added, as the success-message of loading the BSP is printed out. Then the problem begins: Dozends of lines saying:

Warning: Could not find texture in Q3 .bsp:textures/skies/pjbasesky_arena1_sky

And so on and so on. Finally I'm sitting here with only the skybox being rendered. Did anybody already have this problem? The textures are there and even in a crossover check I cannot see any violations of pk3 internals structure between the example map and mine. Short version: Quake3 can load the map, Irrlicht not.

Cya,
cochi (cochi at t dash online dot de)
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

if the map uses texture that are internal for quake irrlich doesn't have any copies of the texture
i am not sure but i think the only way to fix this, if this is the prob,( if it is the prob i am not sure) is to use a map that only uses textures that are brought in and are not a part of quake :(

can someone tell me if any of this is wrong i am still trying to learn myself :wink:

Post by Guest »

Hm

I don't think that's the core of the problem. I also tried loading the maps with all Quake PK3 files in the path (and added them to filesystem).

Indeed, the map only uses textures which are in the PK3 file itself :(

Cya,

Post by Guest »

Hi again,

I found a thread regarding this and a reply from niko in another thread:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=341

So I believe all I can do is sit and wait *sigh* Well, that's life.
Great work nevertheless, niko!

Cya,
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

then if the map texture doesn't load from a directory the pk3 is just a zip file so go in and add the textures to it
i am not sure if it will work but you can give it a try
Harry_Mystic

Quake3 map problems

Post by Harry_Mystic »

Hi all,

the solution working for me is:
Create a new folder, something like "myMap". Create subfolder "maps", "textures" (enough for a simple map).
In "maps" put .bsp and .map files.

Then in "textures" create subfolders similar to your editors subfolders, like "common","stone" or "radiant". You need only subfolders regarding the textures you are using for your map.

I'm not sure if above will realy help, I use Gtkradiant under Linux (btw: no Quake3 nessecary) and the textures are either jpeg (I still cannot get this work) or compressed tga (not supported yet?). Work around for me: I created a subfolder "myTex" in the editors "textures" and put there the textures I want to use (all as uncompressed tga). If you are able to load jpeg in Irrlight you will probably be able to use most of your editors textures.

At the end I have:
myMap(dir)
->maps(dir) //.map and .bsp files
->textures(dir)
->textures->radiant(dir) // copy of editors dummy textures
->textures->myTextures(dir) // copy of my textures
Then I create a .zip and I add ->maps and ->textures with all subdirs and files.
Rename to myMap.pk3. Done.

The "Warning: Could not find texture in Q3 .bsp:textures/skies/pjbasesky_arena1_sky" can be a result of trying to load a compressed .tga, even if the file exists.

Hope this helps. I'm only 5 days old with Irrlight and Gtkradiant.

Cool Engine!

Post by Guest »

Hm. Loading a compressed TGA? That'd be an explanation. I'll check that soon, thanks for the idea :)

Cya,
cochi