Problem with XEffects on Irrlicht 1.8

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
JunkerKun

Problem with XEffects on Irrlicht 1.8

Post by JunkerKun »

I don't know if it is the right thing to do, but since noone answered in the Xeffects thread...

Does XEffects even work on Irrlicht 1.8? I've tried to use it but it just didn't work. On OpenGL render it didn't even set an ambient lighting and on Direct3D9 there is no shadow mapping, only ambient lighting. Now it is either I am too dumb to do it right, or something wrong with the current version of Xeffects.
So, should I just go and kill myself with a 2x4 wooden plank or is it really just a problem with Xeffects?
P.S. Post Effects doesn't work right too =\
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Problem with XEffects on Irrlicht 1.8

Post by CuteAlien »

Generally you won't get better answers by opening more threads. The Xeffects guy is not so much around anymore, but the original Xeffects thread is still the best chance to reach him. Maybe wait a few days, otherwise I guess you might be out of luck for now :-(
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Consider studying the Xeffects framework, understand it, and create your own framework.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
JunkerKun

Post by JunkerKun »

Mel wrote:Consider studying the Xeffects framework, understand it, and create your own framework.
Well, shadow mapping already have blown my brains off when I tried to make it in OpenGL, so, I think I'll take a little break for now and just use existing solutions. I will study it, but later when I'll be ready for this.
mikkis

Post by mikkis »

I tried that with irr1.8 and with D3D examples works just fine. With OGL there are some rendering problems (yellowish screen).
JunkerKun

Post by JunkerKun »

mikkis wrote:I tried that with irr1.8 and with D3D examples works just fine. With OGL there are some rendering problems (yellowish screen).
Strange. I get Access Violation on 1.8 and 1.7.3 when loading room =\