help with dev-cpp :(

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
gandalf

help with dev-cpp :(

Post by gandalf »

im using Dev-Cpp version 4. I get the following error when i try compiling an example program (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut001b.html) :

----------------
In file included from c:\irlicht\include\irrlicht.h:25,
from c:\irrdemo\hellouniverse.cpp:3:
c:\irlicht\include\aabbox3d.h: In method `void irr::core::aabbox3d<T>::getEdges(irr::core::vector3d<T> *) const':
c:\irlicht\include\aabbox3d.h:211: unknown escape sequence `\i'
c:\irlicht\include\aabbox3d.h:211: unknown escape sequence `\i'
---------------

i also get that error when i try compiling the example programs that came with irrlicht.

:cry:
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

try getting dev cpp 4.9.8.4 i use it and it worked perfectly
i know somewher in 1997 the ansi c++ standards changed your compilier may still be using the old standards

Post by Guest »

im getting Visual C++.Net soon :) so it should be working soon...

Do anone of you know if Irrlicht engine is better thant TrueVison3D (www.truevison3d.com), OGRE engine or Genesis3D ??
corban

Post by corban »

Anonymous wrote: Do anone of you know if Irrlicht engine is better thant TrueVison3D (www.truevison3d.com), OGRE engine or Genesis3D ??
i think it's not a matter of "better" or "worse". it depends on what you want to do and what features you need. but irrlicht is the most usable one imho. and do not forget, irrlicht is not yet complete, it's in version 0.4 (i think niko uses the standard versioning guilines), so less than a half of all features are implemented yet.

corban
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

Here's how you fix Dev C++. View your hard drive directory, right click on the Dev-cpp folder and then left click delete. If it asks if you are sure click Yes. Then go get a copy of Visual C++ 6 or better. :wink:
Anonymous wrote:Do anone of you know if Irrlicht engine is better thant TrueVison3D (www.truevison3d.com), OGRE engine or Genesis3D ??
Someone asked that question a while back and everyone and their grandma had an opinion. Search the old forum stuff to find that thread.
corban

Post by corban »

[dx/x]=HUNT3R wrote:Here's how you fix Dev C++. View your hard drive directory, right click on the Dev-cpp folder and then left click delete. If it asks if you are sure click Yes. Then go get a copy of Visual C++ 6 or better. :wink:
nay, vc isn't that cool, devc++ neither. but both are NOT responsible for using incompatible header files. vc may hide all the build issues from the developer, but REAL men write their makefiles by hand 8) . but there's another reason for using gcc and not mvc: when irrlicht reaches v1.0 and all the nice openGL features are implemented, you're game turns out to be a cool linux game also, even if you never used linux. and linux could use some more cool 3d games.

as for the IDE, i suggest eclipse, but IDEs are like 3dEngines in that matter, except for the opinion of my grandma: she does not care bout IDEs, she uses VI since 1893 :wink: .

greets,
corban
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

here is the formula:

dev cpp = works + free + gets the job done without to much hassle + linux
msvc++ = dev cpp + bells and whisles that you may never use unless you are a professional programmer - linux - free + your wallet

make your choice

note: if you can't get devcpp to work you will probably have just as much luck getting msvc++ to work. if you plan to be a programmer for a living you will probable use msvc++ so you should learn it in the beginning plus a few others if you can
imho
oh yea i just remembered i thought i read somewhere that irrlich is incompatable with older versions of gcc (i think lesss that 3.0) i suggest getting devcpp 5 beta ( 4.9.8 ) it works for me
dev cpp 4.0 may use an older version