Freezing up

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Syphonix

Freezing up

Post by Syphonix »

Why is it that sometimes Irrlicht games will stop all mouse input to your computer? I'm thinking that it is the method that adds a First Person Shooter camera, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Can someone please explain to me how to solve this problem? It is getting annoying, as I have to restart my computer after every run.

Also, how can I get input from the keyboard using Irrlicht? This could solve my problem temporarily.
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

Thats strange how you got mouse input to work before key input. lol.... because all tutorials deal with keyboard input... You could also ALT + TAB out of your application. It probably makes the mouse invisible, and resets the mouse position to the center of the screen every time you move the mouse. :wink:

To "see" your mouse, add this:

device->getCursorControl()->setVisible(true);

The movement tutorials:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut004.html
Programmer of the Irrlicht Scene Editor:
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
Syphonix

Post by Syphonix »

Even if I ALT+TAB out, the mouse still doesn't work. The visibility thing doesn't matter either.

and resets the mouse position to the center of the screen every time you move the mouse.
Yeah, that's whats going on. How would I fix it?
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

I'm not sure, but ALT + F4 should close your application instead of having to restart. (thats how I close the SpecialFX example because it uses the FPS camera)
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
Syphonix

Post by Syphonix »

It works! thanks!
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

No prob, but I really suggest adding an EvenReceiver and making the ESCAPE key close the device.
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
Syphonix

Post by Syphonix »

I learned from gamedev.net that F10 allows you to move the mouse again. I was going to add the EventReciever thing, but then I learned about F10.