Hardware Skinning

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
ritti

Hardware Skinning

Post by ritti »

Hi everybody,
I asked in the forum yesterday as Postreply, but realized that the thread is postet in "Code snippets", so Ill ask again here.
Are there some updates or news about Hardwareskinning in Irrlicht?
I tried the code posted by christianclavet here: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... =9&t=42096 and it worked great on an ATI card (with some modifications in the glsl file because of the #define variables) but now I tried it on my Nvidia GT640 with no success.
The Models just dont appear if I enable HWSkinning and there aren't any compile errors.
Here is a part of the Terminal output:

Code: Select all

getting name: : end
CXFileReader: reading animation
CXFileReader: reading animation key
CXFileReader: reading animation key
getting name: : hit
Time to load ascii X file: 93ms
Loaded mesh: dwarf.x
Joint Num: 46, current limit is 55 joints.
My System:
Ubuntu 12.10 x64
nvidia gt640
driver: Nvidia 304.48
OpenGL 4.2

What can I do to solve this problem?

Best regards

Ritti
ritti

Re: Hardware Skinning

Post by ritti »

I just installed the new Nvidia driver with OpenGL 4.3 but it didn't change anything.
The models still wont be shown on the screen.

Any help would be appreciate.

Best regards
Ritti
etreum79

Post by etreum79 »

Hello, you answer fracmentos forum code, the version of opengl sahder not work, try adjusting the driver to DX9.

Nadro made ​​a comment that this is best done with the branch of shadder-pipeline.

a greeting.
ritti

Post by ritti »

Hi etrenum, thank you for your answer.
The Problem is that I'm programming this game for Linux, so changing the driver to DX is no option for me.
I think I'll have to wait until Hardware Skinning is implemented into Irrlicht.
The game is far away from the end state so I can wait for it :)
But it would be really nice if HW Skinning would be implemented soon into Irrlicht.

Best regards
Ritti
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

There is a problem with hardware skinning and is that either you have only one shader for hardware skinning, or you have to have a way to create shaders for skinning in runtime, or you have to be able to duplicate every shader so it also supports skinning, which is a solution very ineffective.

The matrix palette skinning i think that doesn't work any more in DX10+, I can't tell GL though, but it is feasible that it isn't supported either, because the shader skinning is really the most efficient hardware skinning system.

For the time, it is better that each one provides its own shader for skinning, and that Irrlicht only handled the joint transformations and had an interface to access them during the rendering.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt