Figured out my problem, thought I'd post it anyway

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Pharoseer

Figured out my problem, thought I'd post it anyway

Post by Pharoseer »

I'm using .NET and after downloading Irrlicht 0.4, I couldn't even run the Hello World example from the IDE without getting the following error:

Run-Time Check Failure #0 - The value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call. This is usually a result of calling a function declared with one calling convention with a function pointer declared with a different calling convention.

It occurred at the line:

IVideoDriver* driver = device->getVideoDriver();

In the Hello World example it would continue to run if I clicked continue (to ignore the error), but in the other examples it would give me another error shortly after similar to the following:

Unhandled exception at 0x00411c75 in 6.2DGraphics.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

It seemed like a problem with a DLL or something... and... yep, that was it. I had an older version of the Irrlicht.dll in the path before the correct version. Someday I'll learn never to try anything resembling thought when I'm tired. :) I hope this post will save someone else the headache it's caused me for the past few minutes. :P
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Thanx for posting this. I think its very useful, because the forum now has a search function. :wink:
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

that may be my problem, i forgot to copy the right dll into the system directory. I'll check. Thanks for posting that!

~~ The Robomaniac