Gravity causes sliding

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
olgi42

Gravity causes sliding

Post by olgi42 »

Hi there,

first some defines which work for me:
Avatar: graphical representation of my character in the 3D-World.
Uphill grade: (german*) Steigung

I have done my first steps with Irrlicht and have a questions:

I atached an ITriangleSelector and an CollisionResponseAnimator to my Avatar. That worked fine for me, concerning falling over edges, for example.

But i didn't like it when my Avatar slides when standing on a plain with little uphill grade. I understand, everything is a float. I scaled my *.3ds models to met the demand of a .md2 creater. But the result is, my Avatar is sliding as if he standing on a frozen suraface.
Here come my questions:
Do i have to scale my models to met the demands of the Engine, or can i state my demands that a vector3df(0,0,0) to vector3df(0,0.1,0) isn't such a serious uphill grade, so that my Avatar doesn't slide this (not very steep) hill.

What can I do do against this? Create my own CollisionResponseAnimator? Met the standard as defined by Irrlicht?
Is it possible to set a value to define, when my Avatar should response to a uphill grade?
I understand, it is Version 0,4, so i want to use the high level functions and not tweak the internal functions.

Greetings,
Holger
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Try to adjust some of the parameters when creating the CollisionResponseAnimator, especially the last one, hope it helps.