[SOLVED] Blender (.b3d) to Irrlicht- Textures Not Showing Up

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
RonnieNeeley

[SOLVED] Blender (.b3d) to Irrlicht- Textures Not Showing Up

Post by RonnieNeeley »

[Most of this information is covered in the video, just figured I'd include some text as well.]

Hey guys,

I've recently run across an issue regarding exporting a mesh from Blender as a .b3d into Irrlicht and having no textures.

This isn't the sole problem though- I have a human model (That I did not make) with textures (that I do not plan to use). I exported that model the same way I've done to my other meshes- and the game client tries to find those textures (although they are obviously not there). When I export any other mesh, the client does not state that it's looking for those textures (while also not present). So it's not that it isn't using the texture correctly- the game doesn't even know there should be a texture with my own models, yet the game searches for the textures for the model I found online. (However, once I gave it those textures, it was still black- that's a different issue though).

I've made this video showing my process within Blender involving texturing. I'm assuming I'm just missing a step, but all my searching today for the past few hours (and earlier in the day) have yielded nothing helpful. I've also deeply examined the human mesh I found online, and can't find any huge difference between the texturing in that file and the texturing I've done.

VIDEO >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXohml ... e=youtu.be

(NOTE- the texture IS in the same file as the .b3d file, although again, this is not the issue at the moment as the game doesn't even know a texture should be present.)

Also, here are the specs of my exporter, as it doesn't show in the video.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!
Last edited by RonnieNeeley on Tue May 20, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonnieNeeley

Re: Blender (.b3d) to Irrlicht - Textures Not Showing Up [Vi

Post by RonnieNeeley »

EDIT: There was no light source. He added one, and the player model shows up fine with the textures.

However, anything I've made (in this instance, a simple cube with a texture) still isn't showing up textured.
RonnieNeeley

Re: [SOLVED] Blender (.b3d) to Irrlicht- Textures Not Showin

Post by RonnieNeeley »

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Apparently it doesn't work with Cycles, you have to texture it in Blender Render (and when you render, make sure you are not in edit mode!)

If anyone knows how to make it work with Cycles, I would be eternally grateful since I've spent all my time learning cycles (and prefer it to the normal blender render) but this is better than nothing I suppose.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I guess Blender forum might know more about the differences in such a case (changing the renderer shouldn't affect the export).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, RonnieNeeley

Checked your video and your export should be fine.
You can check 3 things to be sure the texture information is correctly exported:
- When you load the model into Irrlicht, check the console (text windows in debug mode) for any mention of "missing" texture.
- Check your material flags on your model (Irrlicht), it look like it could be in "lighted" mode, and I don't think there is a light in the scene. You can disable "lighting" on your model to not use lights. By default it is set to "true" -> http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/cl ... 6494d48e2b
- Check that your texture file is next the the model file. It's really a bad idea to put the texture file inside another folder.
Apparently it doesn't work with Cycles
I don't know what "Cycles" mean in blender. But if it's not texturing via a shader and is using UV, then you should be able to use them in Irrlicht. If the textures are "generated" procedurally, then you must "bake" the textures to use them.

Edit: checked with google, seem like a add-on renderer (like mental-ray for Max). You should be able to use the texture, but you should "bake" them before exporting.
RonnieNeeley

Post by RonnieNeeley »

Hey Christian, thanks for the reply!
christianclavet wrote: - When you load the model into Irrlicht, check the console (text windows in debug mode) for any mention of "missing" texture.
The console does not mention any missing texture when I export with Cycles (a render engine within Blender. There are two: the default Blender Render, and the newer Cycles Render). When I do with Blender, however, it works. The issue is, I prefer Cycles to Blender render as that's what I learned on.
christianclavet wrote:- Check your material flags on your model (Irrlicht), it look like it could be in "lighted" mode, and I don't think there is a light in the scene. You can disable "lighting" on your model to not use lights. By default it is set to "true" -> http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/cl ... 6494d48e2b
In that video, lighting was not on. However, since then the programmer did add lighting, but it doesn't affect problem as I'm having a problem getting Irrlicht to even recognize a texture should be there.
christianclavet wrote:- Check that your texture file is next the the model file. It's really a bad idea to put the texture file inside another folder.
It is, but yeah it doesn't even know it should be using that texture.
christianclavet wrote:But if it's not texturing via a shader and is using UV, then you should be able to use them in Irrlicht. If the textures are "generated" procedurally, then you must "bake" the textures to use them.

Edit: checked with google, seem like a add-on renderer (like mental-ray for Max). You should be able to use the texture, but you should "bake" them before exporting.
Thanks for your help, but I think I know the issue (I just don't know how to fix it / if it even can be fixed). Texturing in Blender with the Cycles Render engine is different than with the Blender Render engine. I think the b3d exporter I'm using (the only one I can find for Blender) either doesn't work with Cycles, or I'm just texturing wrong, but that's doubtful as I've never seen it done any other way with the Cycles rendering engine.

Thank you for your help though, I appreciate it. I posted on Blenderartists.org and nobody even bothered to try :P

What I *want* to do is texture in Cycles, bake that out, switch to Blender Render, add that texture bake, then export. Unfortunately, Cycles doesn't have baking capabilities yet (there is some experimental feature but it's over my head).

I'll survive though. Thank you again for trying to help.
RonnieNeeley

Post by RonnieNeeley »

Update: I'm pretty sure I've verified that you can't use Cycles rendering with Irrlicht (assuming you want to have textures) because of how Cycles handles its texturing. I doubt that will ever change.

If someone has successfully used Cycles Rendering with Irrlicht (and had textures show up), I would love to know how, but I'm fairly certain it's impossible.

As I said, the only way to make it do-able will be once Blender adds texture baking for Cycles, which should hopefully be in the near future, at which point you can texture, bake that out, and then re-apply it in Blender Render, and export as .b3d.

Thanks for your help everyone!