more render targets vs. one MRT

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
arnir
Competition winner

more render targets vs. one MRT

Post by arnir »

Hi
I am making my deferred render above standard irrlicht render. I got the classic scheme of 2 render targets:
first for normals and depth
the second for albedo and specular
then into the third texture I render point lights as spheres and in final compose shader, I combine all these textures into the final image. Now I got around 65fps.

When I started I want to keep things simple so I draw scene two times. Once to obtain depth and normals, once to get albedo. But then I learn about multi render targets where I can draw scene only once, but output more informations into more textures. So Ive switched into this approach, I was expecting some performance boost because there is twice less overheat then in the first approach, but I got 60fps.

My question is: is it possible or mrt has to be faster and there has to be bug?
programmer is bad designer
designer is bad programmer
Nadro

Re: more render targets vs. one MRT

Post by Nadro »

MRTs should be definitly faster, which texture format do you use for RT?
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes