EMF_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA rendering problem

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Harch

EMF_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA rendering problem

Post by Harch »

Hello everyone! I write a voxel game and decided to add some transparent materials to it. It leads to many bugs and problems, which can't be solved by me. I'll try to show them in video. So, as you can see, i create two chunks(which are two different meshes and meshbuffers and nodes also). When i try to see them from different angles, i get some strange things. No separating quads there. Node's (0, 0, 0) point is the chunk's corner. I'm really tired and i can't find a solution, please, help.
P.S. For lighting i use my own shader, but i'm pretty sure, that it is not the reason. I tried to turn it off, colored the mesh by irrlicht's methods and got exaclty the same bugs, but, just in case, i'll give a code.
P.P.S. And one more very strange thing: blending is working despite i turn it off.
Help me, please, and sorry for my english. The code is below.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0dJYQO_Hbc

Code:

Code: Select all

int main()
{
    SIrrlichtCreationParameters* s_IrrlichtCreationParameters = new SIrrlichtCreationParameters;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->DeviceType = EIDT_BEST;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->DriverType = EDT_OPENGL;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->WindowSize = dimension2d<u32>(1280, 720);
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->Bits = 32;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->ZBufferBits = 16;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->Fullscreen = false;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->Stencilbuffer = false;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->Vsync = false;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->AntiAlias = 8;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->WithAlphaChannel = false;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->Doublebuffer = true;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->IgnoreInput = false;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->Stereobuffer = false;
    s_IrrlichtCreationParameters->HighPrecisionFPU = false;

IrrlichtDevice* device = createDeviceEx(*s_IrrlichtCreationParameters);
    delete s_IrrlichtCreationParameters;

smgr->getParameters()->setAttribute(scene::ALLOW_ZWRITE_ON_TRANSPARENT, true); //Scene manager

// Creating light shaders
    MyShaderCallBack* mc = new MyShaderCallBack();
    s32 chunkLightMaterialType = driver->getGPUProgrammingServices()->addHighLevelShaderMaterialFromFiles(
                                "Shaders/light.vert", "vertexMain", video::EVST_VS_1_1,
                                "Shaders/light.frag", "pixelMain", video::EPST_PS_1_1,
                                mc, video::EMT_SOLID, 0, EGSL_DEFAULT);
    s32 chunkLightTransparentMaterialType = driver->getGPUProgrammingServices()->addHighLevelShaderMaterialFromFiles(
                                "Shaders/light.vert", "vertexMain", video::EVST_VS_1_1,
                                "Shaders/light.frag", "pixelMain", video::EPST_PS_1_1,
                                mc, video::EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL, 0, EGSL_DEFAULT);

MyFactoryChunkMeshSceneNode* mfcmsn = new MyFactoryChunkMeshSceneNode(device, isve); //Creating factory of nodes
    mfcmsn->setNumberOfMeshesSceneNodeForChunk(3);
    mfcmsn->setHardwareMappingHint(0, EHM_STATIC, EBT_VERTEX_AND_INDEX); //First parameter is number mesh
    mfcmsn->setMaterialType(0, (E_MATERIAL_TYPE)chunkLightMaterialType);
    mfcmsn->setHardwareMappingHint(1, EHM_STATIC, EBT_VERTEX_AND_INDEX); //Glass mesh
    mfcmsn->setMaterialType(1, (E_MATERIAL_TYPE)chunkLightTransparentMaterialType);
    mfcmsn->setHardwareMappingHint(2, EHM_STATIC, EBT_VERTEX_AND_INDEX); //Water mesh
    mfcmsn->setMaterialType(2, (E_MATERIAL_TYPE)chunkLightTransparentMaterialType);
    isve->getFactoryChunkMeshSceneNode()->setMaterialFlag(2, id, EMF_LIGHTING, false); //id - world identificator, 2 - mesh for water, isve - my voxel engine
    isve->getFactoryChunkMeshSceneNode()->setMaterialFlag(2, id, EMF_BLEND_OPERATION, true);
    isve->getFactoryChunkMeshSceneNode()->setMaterialFlag(2, id, EMF_ZWRITE_ENABLE, false);
    isve->getFactoryChunkMeshSceneNode()->setMaterialFlag(2, id, EMF_BACK_FACE_CULLING, false);
    isve->getFactoryChunkMeshSceneNode()->setMaterialFlag(2, id, EMF_COLOR_MATERIAL, false);
    isve->stop(); //Stopping engine, waiting all thread
    delete isve;
    device->drop();
    return 0;
}

Shaders:

light.vert:

uniform float s_StarLightIntensity;

varying vec3 s_PixelColor;
varying float s_StarLight;

void main(void)
{
    gl_Position = ftransform();
    gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0;
    s_PixelColor = gl_Color.xyz;
    s_StarLight = gl_Color[3] * s_StarLightIntensity;
}

light.frag:

uniform sampler2D s_TextureLayerID;

uniform vec4 s_StarLightColor;

varying vec3 s_PixelColor;
varying float s_StarLight;

vec4 colorDown(in vec4 color)
{
    float dist = 0.0;
    for(int i = 0; i < 3; i++)
        if(color[i] > 1.0 && color[i] - 1.0 > dist) dist = color[i] - 1.0;
    for(int i = 0; i < 3; i++) color[i] = color[i] - dist;
    return color;
}

vec4 getLight(in vec4 color, in float starlight)
{
    return colorDown(color + vec4(s_StarLightColor.xyz, 0.0) * starlight);
}

void main()
{
    float starlight = s_StarLight;
    vec4 color = texture2D(s_TextureLayerID, vec2(gl_TexCoord[0]));
    gl_FragColor = vec4((color * getLight(vec4(s_PixelColor, 1.0), starlight)).xyz, color.a);
}

mongoose7

Re: EMF_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA rendering problem

Post by mongoose7 »

Maybe try setting gl_FragColor = vec4(0.7) just to eliminate lighting calculations. Also, do you use a texture like that caustic effect anywhere in your program? Maybe try the latest version in the "trunk" branch.
Harch

Post by Harch »

I tried to remove the shader and just paint the mesh - the result was the same. So I think that the lighting does not spoil anything :(
I do not use until the other layers of textures. Only the first. I look forward to lighting manually. Values ​​lighting pass to the vertex shader for each vertex by vertex SColor. Alpha is sunlight. RGB is the artificial lighting. But I think that the shader does not do anything wrong. I have checked and no shader.

That is, I'm doing everything right? But is the result of a wrong? And I have to download the latest build irrlicht (or what is trunk?)?

P.S. Sorry for google translate.
Harch

Post by Harch »

Thank you. I'll check and report the results.
Harch

Post by Harch »

I checked. The same rendering errors :( What else advise? :)
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

mongoose7 wrote:Maybe try setting gl_FragColor = vec4(0.7) just to eliminate lighting calculations. Also, do you use a texture like that caustic effect anywhere in your program? Maybe try the latest version in the "trunk" branch.
It would be good to see a picture without effects.
Harch

Post by Harch »

I have already done so like. Had the same error. Check once more?
Harch

Post by Harch »

Only i did:

gl_FragColor = vec4((color * getLight(vec4(s_PixelColor, 1.0), starlight)).xyz, 0.7);

Harch

Post by Harch »

http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/alpha_sorting.html

May be necessary to arrange the polygons in meshbuffer, as written in the link above? If yes, then how to do the functions of the engine?
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

a) Irrlicht renders transparent meshbuffers after solid ones. You don't have to do anything.
b) TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL_REF is rendered as solid, which is what you would want.
In summary, you do not have to do your own sorting.

While it is true that Irrlicht doesn't sort the transparent mesh buffers, and that this can matter, if all the transparent materials are the same then it doesn't matter. So this should not be an issue for you.
Harch

Post by Harch »

So, the problem is not it? And then what is it? :(
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

I don't even know what your problem is.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Irrlicht sorts transparent meshes only per node. I fear you have no choice for now but to split it into several nodes. And yeah - sorting per meshbuffer at least would be nice I guess. Per polygon would be too slow I suppose for most cases. Making sorting completely flexible would be optimal, but not trivial for this case. I suppose best solution would be if Irrlicht offers just some more sorting options, but not really anyone working on that currently.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Harch

Post by Harch »

But how then were taken to clone minecraft on irrlicht? In these projects transparency is normally, despite the fact that the transparent block are combined into one meshbuffer ...