Applying a pixel shader to a GUI element and its children

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
SSJ17Vegeta

Applying a pixel shader to a GUI element and its children

Post by SSJ17Vegeta »

Hi all,

I wondered, is it possible with Irrlicht to simply apply a pixel shader to a GUI element and its children ?
Let's say I have a custom GUI element (which looks like an old TV screen), with a few buttons / text inside. I would like to apply an effet such as this one : https://www.shadertoy.com/view/ldjGzV

I've browsed a bit in the Irrlicht documentation, and all the tutorials mention applying the shader to a material type set on a scene node, not GUI Elements.

I've tried doing something like this to no avail :
In the GUI element's draw() method :

Code: Select all

s32 materialIndex = gpu->addHighLevelShaderMaterialFromFiles("", basePath + "vcr_distortion.glsl", new SomeShaderCallBack(), EMT_SOLID, 0);
E_MATERIAL_TYPE PREVIOUS_ID = driver->getMaterial2D().MaterialType;
driver->getMaterial2D().MaterialType = static_cast<E_MATERIAL_TYPE>(materialIndex);
IGUIElement::draw() // <== Draws the children
// Other drawing stuff with draw2dimage
driver->getMaterial2D().MaterialType = PREVIOUS_ID;

I've also tried playing with Vitek's excellent CGUIViewPort (which I previously used to render scene nodes as GUI elements) in a rather unusual context, by overriding it that way :

In the constructor I set a screen quad (which seems to fill the whole screen no matter the specified dimension) with the proper material ID and textures. I can see in the debugger that the shader callback's OnSetConstants is regularly called.

this->screenQuad = new CScreenQuadSceneNode(smgr->getRootSceneNode(), smgr, -1, dim /* = the GUI element dimension */);
if (Environment->getVideoDriver()->queryFeature(video::EVDF_RENDER_TO_TARGET))
{
      this->rtt = Environment->getVideoDriver()->addRenderTargetTexture(dim, "rtt0");
      this->screenQuad->getMaterial(0).setTexture(0, rtt);
      this->screenQuad->getMaterial(0).setTexture(1, someLoadedNoiseTexture);
      this->screenQuad->getMaterial(0).MaterialType = static_cast<video::E_MATERIAL_TYPE>(24); // <== Matches the material ID returned by addHighLevelShaderMaterialFromFiles()
}

In the draw() method :

Environment->getVideoDriver()->setRenderTarget(rtt, false, false, video::SColor(0, 0, 0, 0));
CGUIViewport::draw(); // Draws the sub elements.
Environment->getVideoDriver()->setRenderTarget(ERT_FRAME_BUFFER, false, false, 0);
screenQuad->render();

I know there's something really wrong with my approach(es), but I can't seem to at least find a good starting point / way of thinking. :oops:

For further infon here's the converted shader to proper GLSL :

uniform vec3      iResolution;           // viewport resolution (in pixels)
uniform float     iGlobalTime;           // shader playback time (in seconds)
uniform float     iChannelTime[4];       // channel playback time (in seconds)
uniform vec3      iChannelResolution[4]; // channel resolution (in pixels)
uniform vec4      iMouse;                // mouse pixel coords. xy: current (if MLB down), zw: click
uniform sampler2D iChannel0;          // input channel. XX = 2D/Cube
uniform sampler2D iChannel1;
uniform sampler2D iChannel2;
uniform sampler2D iChannel3;
uniform vec4      iDate;                 // (year, month, day, time in seconds)

float noise(vec2 p)
{
    float sample = texture2D(iChannel1,vec2(1.,2.*cos(iGlobalTime))*iGlobalTime*8. + p*1.).x;
    sample *= sample;
    return sample;
}

float onOff(float a, float b, float c)
{
    return step(c, sin(iGlobalTime + a*cos(iGlobalTime*b)));
}

float ramp(float y, float start, float end)
{
    float inside = step(start,y) - step(end,y);
    float fact = (y-start)/(end-start)*inside;
    return (1.-fact) * inside;

}

float stripes(vec2 uv)
{

float noi = noise(uv*vec2(0.5,1.) + vec2(1.,3.));
    return ramp(mod(uv.y*4. + iGlobalTime/2.+sin(iGlobalTime + sin(iGlobalTime*0.63)),1.),0.5,0.6)*noi;
}

vec3 getVideo(vec2 uv)
{
    vec2 look = uv;
    float window = 1./(1.+20.*(look.y-mod(iGlobalTime/4.,1.))*(look.y-mod(iGlobalTime/4.,1.)));
    look.x = look.x + sin(look.y*10. + iGlobalTime)/50.*onOff(4.,4.,.3)*(1.+cos(iGlobalTime*80.))*window;
    float vShift = 0.4*onOff(2.,3.,.9)*(sin(iGlobalTime)*sin(iGlobalTime*20.) + 
                                         (0.5 + 0.1*sin(iGlobalTime*200.)*cos(iGlobalTime)));
    look.y = mod(look.y + vShift, 1.);
    vec3 video = vec3(texture2D(iChannel0,look));
    return video;
}

vec2 screenDistort(vec2 uv)
{
    uv -= vec2(.5,.5);
    uv = uv*1.2*(1./1.2+2.*uv.x*uv.x*uv.y*uv.y);
    uv += vec2(.5,.5);
    return uv;
}

void mainImage( out vec4 fragColor, in vec2 fragCoord )
{
    vec2 uv = fragCoord.xy / iResolution.xy;
    uv = screenDistort(uv);
    vec3 video = getVideo(uv);
    float vigAmt = 3.+.3*sin(iGlobalTime + 5.*cos(iGlobalTime*5.));
    float vignette = (1.-vigAmt*(uv.y-.5)*(uv.y-.5))*(1.-vigAmt*(uv.x-.5)*(uv.x-.5));

video += stripes(uv);
    video += noise(uv*2.)/2.;
    video *= vignette;
    video *= (12.+mod(uv.y*30.+iGlobalTime,1.))/13.;

fragColor = vec4(video,1.0);
}

void main(void)
{
    mainImage(gl_FragColor, gl_FragCoord.xy);
}

Of course, in the ShaderCallBack I set the expected constants :

s32 layer0 = 0;
    s32 layer1 = 1;
    s32 layer2 = 2;
    s32 layer3 = 3;
    s32 resolution[] =
    { static_cast<s32>(this->dimension.Width), static_cast<s32>(this->dimension.Height) }; // <== Matches the dimension of the GUI element
    f32 globalTime = static_cast<f32>(this->timer->getTime() - this->startTime) / 1000.0f; // <== The shader expects seconds. startTime is set in the ShaderCallback constructor.

services->setPixelShaderConstant("iResolution", resolution, 2);
    services->setPixelShaderConstant("iGlobalTime", &globalTime, 1);
    services->setPixelShaderConstant("iChannel0", &layer0, 1);
    services->setPixelShaderConstant("iChannel1", &layer1, 1);
    services->setPixelShaderConstant("iChannel2", &layer2, 1);
    services->setPixelShaderConstant("iChannel3", &layer3, 1);

chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Re: Applying a pixel shader to a GUI element and its childre

Post by chronologicaldot »

Side note: I don't think you need to keep adding the high level shader in draw(), since it would repeatedly do it for all 1000+ times the poor GUI element is drawn.

More importantly:
GUI Elements use the GUI skin to draw themselves. The skin calls draw2DRectangle(), which directly draws a colored rectangle, ignoring the materials. That's what I gather. See line 2349 in COpenGLDriver.cpp.

You could create your own GUI Skin and have it draw using draw2DVertexPrimitiveList(), which might work. Note that the GUI Skin functions accept a GUIElement* parameter, which can be used to identify the element, and which you could use to check if that element is a child of your special GUI element.
SSJ17Vegeta

Post by SSJ17Vegeta »

Alright, I'm finally getting somewhere with the situation :mrgreen: (I'll post the complete solution once it's done and cleaned up). Still not totally there but... some progress !

It seemed that the screen quad node didn't really get along with the idea of a viewport, so I ditched it, favoring a simple billboard instead.

So basically what I do now is in my sub-class of Vitek's CGUIViewPort :
After shader initialization, when creating the GUI element :

this->bb = smgr->addBillboardSceneNode(smgr->getRootSceneNode(), core::dimension2df(2.0f, 2.0f), vector3df(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), -1);
smgr->addCameraSceneNode(smgr->getRootSceneNode(), vector3df(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f), bb->getPosition(), -2, true);
if (VideoDriver->queryFeature(video::EVDF_RENDER_TO_TARGET))
{
    this->rtt = VideoDriver->addRenderTargetTexture(dim, "rtt0");
}

In updateAbsolutePosition(), I recreate the texture to keep it the same size as the GUI container. And of course I resize the billboard accordingly.

VideoDriver->removeTexture(this->rtt);
const core::dimension2du dim(this->AbsoluteRect.getWidth(), this->AbsoluteRect.getHeight());
this->rtt = VideoDriver->addRenderTargetTexture(dim, "rtt0");
if(this->bb != NULL)
{
    bb->setMaterialTexture(0, this->rtt);
    f32 height = 2.0f * (this->AbsoluteRect.getHeight() / this->AbsoluteRect.getWidth());
    bb->setSize(dimension2df(2.0f, height));
}

In draw() :

VideoDriver->setRenderTarget(rtt, false, false, video::SColor(0, 0, 0, 0));
this->shaderCallBack->updateNonSharedVariables(this->startTime, this->getAbsolutePosition().getSize());
SceneManager->drawAll();
IGUIElement::draw(); // Draws the GUI Elements in the temporary texture.
VideoDriver->setRenderTarget(ERT_FRAME_BUFFER, false, false, 0);
smgr->drawAll(); // Draws :)

Now I have one more problem, as you might have noticed, the dimensions and positions I put for the billboard and the camera. But I need the billboard to fill the viewport completely.

What I see ("x" being the visual 2D surface of the billboard) :

|-------------------------------------|
|                                     |
|            xxxxxxxxxxxxx            |
|            xxxxxxxxxxxxx            |
|            xxxxxxxxxxxxx            |
|                                     |
|-------------------------------------|

What I would like to see :

|-----------------------------------|
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
|-----------------------------------|

Basically, I would need to move the billboard closer to the camera, but being quite bad (like very! bad) in maths, I don't see how to do it. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by SSJ17Vegeta on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Post by chronologicaldot »

You set your camera to 1,1,1, which gives it a distance of sqrt(3) from the camera. You could set the cam position to (1,0,0). You could also fiddle with the size of your billboard, which is set to 2. I can't say much else. It is centered? Your xxxxx drawing suggests it isn't.

Side note: Your element IDs can be positive numbers. Irrlicht stuff is defaulted to -1 since it is supposedly the number people are least likely to pick (as normally, at least for me, GUI elements can be given be enums).
SSJ17Vegeta

Post by SSJ17Vegeta »

Hi,

First of all thanks for your reply (and sorry for the late reply on my side).

The node is indeed centered (my xxx drawing was done hastily, gonna edit it ^^).

As a matter of fact, I was looking for a generic solution that implied not to fiddle with the values, but more like something that worked no matter the size of the billboard. I thought this ( http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... p?p=174143 ) was the solution I'm looking for, but the billboard always seems to "bypass" the viewport's limits. But now I wonder if that would be relevant :-/

As for giving IDs to GUI elements, I usually give them positive IDs, but because I'm working with many, many GUI elements (much of them being re-usable) I usually don't rely on enums to identify them. I tend to give "-1" to the ones I don't intend to manipulate outside the function I've declared them (in which I directly access the pointer returned by environment->addXXX or new XXX).

Still working on it :)