Q3 Entity Extractor

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
eXodus

Q3 Entity Extractor

Post by eXodus »

Hi Irrlichters :)

I needed to extract the entities from a Quake 3 BSP file. I heard of a project from plummi, but it had not been updated for a whole year. This is why I built my own extractor instead of sleeping last night :mrgreen:.

What this utility does is fetching every entities from a BSP/MAP file and give them to a parser. Each parser implements the same interface. This way you can easily add your own parser to the project in a matter of minutes. I wrote a standard BSP, a CSV and an XML parser in less than half an hour!

This project is written in C# so you will need the .NET platform to run it. All comments will be greatly appreciated. If you have a question don't hesitate.

The project binaries and source code are located there :

http://www.istop.com/~alexandre/
Last edited by eXodus on Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cairon

Post by Cairon »

yeah :D thats really great... I've waited for such a usefull programm very long... really thanks alot !!
Arena of Honor: http://aoh.arturh.com
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

It looks interesting but so far all I'm getting from my bsps is the info_player_start. None of the other entities get parsed.
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

Might I know what bsp compiler you're using for your maps? Because there shouldn't be any difference between entities.

So far, I'm sure that it works with Radiant and Quark files. I also tested it with irrq3.bsp from your VT :wink: and it worked fine.

Give a look to your bsp file and check what entities are in there.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

ok exodus, I'll give it a try.

I use Radiant and Irrq3 (compiled qith Q3map2tool) bsp kind of maps, so if you already succeeded with Irrq3 I'll try with that same one.

:D
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

Alright, but keep in mind that irrq3.bsp only has one entity which is info_player_start :)

I added more entities myself to do the testing.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

what about light pos? can it also grab that? It would come in handy in case you want to reinforce a certain lightmapped area of your map with an Irrlicht-native particle system.
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

Unfortunately, "light" entities aren't present in BSP files. The reason I created this extractor was to place my custom entities (like particle systems) while mapping and create them at runtime with Irrlicht.

I looked at MAP files and they DO contain the "light" entities. Perhaps it would come in handy to rewrite my utility to read from MAP files instead! I think I'll do that right now and repost once updated.

Thanks for the feedback!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

whoa! gr8!

nice work!!!! many thnx for your efforts! :D

pls let us know of any new releases
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

As requested I included support to read from MAP files.

The loaders should be more robust now. The formatting of the entities isn't as strict as in the first version.

You can find the latest release on this page :

http://www.istop.com/~alexandre/
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

sweeeeeet!!! downloading.

thnx exodus, I'll try it out this afternoon after work,
PC-maniak

please

Post by PC-maniak »

can you upload it again please? I can´t download it. :cry:
Yeurl

Post by Yeurl »

me too
RapchikProgrammer

Post by RapchikProgrammer »

Id love to have my hands on this one too! There is one in affecelis's ftp too, but its not complete only imports _info! It is opensource so anyone can complete!