Insane Bump: A free Alternative to Crazy Bump

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.

Go Ahead or Terminate?

Go
99%
No
1%

Total votes: 71

omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

InsaneBump Linux with interactive preview and improved map generation.

get it here http://irrlichtirc.g0dsoft.com/omaremad/Insane.deb

Works with png and uncompressed tga only.

Instructions in the app, run from applications>graphics>insane for the gui version or from gimp scripts.

Batch mode is currently disabled but you can run batches from gimp.
Has suppourt for saving AI Neural network files, if you get good results for certain settings press Train NN and upload your training files here (found in /usr/local/Insane).

Once there is enough training data from the community i will activate the automatic settings AI.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Viewer doesnt do specular but makes specular maps
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
killfassil

Post by killfassil »

Hello everyone. I just got here looking for an alternative to crazybump. What you did was more than cool, and I'd like to use it. Infortunately, I downloaded the old version, and couldn't really use it because of the lack of a real-time preview.

So I was really happy to see the new version coming. Yet, I don't know how to use the file that you released. Maybe because I'm not a Gimp user.

Could someone explain me what to do with the file, and how to launch the app.

Anyway wether you'll help me or not, thanks a lot for your work, this kind of tool just make life so much easier !
vasco

Post by vasco »

Hey there!
Is it possible to have it as a Gimp plugin compatible with Mac OSX?

It seams there's nothing like that for the mac yet. I know nothing about coding but shouldn't be too difficult to make it (I guess).
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Ok here is the installer, the install process is relatively complex since windows doesnt come with the dpendencies it needed on linux but its not hard. Run the installer and install all the dependencies that popup, the tricky bit is when this message comes up, follow whats in the image.

After the install the program should run, There are two stages to the texture creation process, one is loading and preprocessing(similar to what crazy bump does when its "thinking") then the second stage is realtime .

All the things for the first stage are in the first panel (with sliders A & B), the normal depth is self explainitory, while "Feature size" is a very critical variable. The feature size slider changes how Insane bump "sees" the bumps on the texture. Use larger feature sizes for more organic materials, while things like metal plates would use smaller feature sizes. After Adjusting these two variables and chossing any extra options like seamless textures click the Generate(button C), this will generate preview data for you to work on in realtime. The preview data is just downscaled version of your texture (this allows you to work on huge textures that exceed your card limits for offline applications).

Panel with the sliders labelled F are all realtime options that you can change, currently the viewer doesnt suppourt specularity but specular maps are still made. Only changes in these sliders will be seen in realtime, if you change sliders A & B you have to reclick Generate (button C).

Once you are done clicking save changes (button D) will reapply your filters to the high res original texture.

Panel E shows the controls, use the arrow keys to move around after pressing the Q key.

WARNING: this software recieved very little testing, no warranty etc...... The uninstaller will uninstall insanebump but not gimp and python that get installed.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0436 ... f6e8ebb871
"Irrlicht is obese"

Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

this is awesome! 8) thanks
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

yea this looks like a great tool omaremad. Need specular in the preview ;0 but great so far.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

That's really good stuff omaremad, I like it. I never knew GIMP could be extended with Python extensions.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

Great tool man just made its way into my art pipeline :D
http://wild.deathtouchstudios.com << My gamedev blog
<Programming is a way of life>
If at first you don't succeed press the delete key till you do :)
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Does it work? post examples of your textures. Also you will not get correct results unless you use .png or uncompressed .TGA's since the alpha channel is used to store some data.
"Irrlicht is obese"

d3jake

Post by d3jake »

Has the .deb package also been updated? or only the Windows version?
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
lucifer1101

Post by lucifer1101 »

it seems that that mediafire folder is empty please where did it go, this looks very neat..
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

The download link
Just awesome[/url]
Virion
Competition winner

Re: Insane Bump: A free Alternative to Crazy Bump

Post by Virion »

does this project still alive? i could not find any good normal map generator on mac so I have been thinking if insane bump could be a helpful here. seems like its dead. :cry:
Asimov

Re: Insane Bump: A free Alternative to Crazy Bump

Post by Asimov »

Another good free alternative is xnormal 64bit. I use it on all my models now as it creates really good normalmaps.