Irrlicht Setup - Windows 10 with Visual Studio 2019

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
BrettHartel

Irrlicht Setup - Windows 10 with Visual Studio 2019

Post by BrettHartel »

I am posting this because it took a while for me to figure out how to setup Irrlicht, I was able to get help from Michael Zeilfelder (www.michaelzeilfelder.de) whom I found while searching for Irrlicht on google. I am sure there are multiple ways, but this how I was able to start using Irrlicht in Visual Studio 2019.

1) Make sure you have DirectX9 SDK installed. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=6812
* * * You cannot have any version of Visual Studio installed prior to installing DirectX9 SDK. So, uninstall any Visual Studio version you have, install DirectX9 SDK.

2) Install Visual Studio 2019

3) Download and extract Irrlicht

4) Start a new project and edit the following settings:
:D Project -> Properties -> C/C++ -> General -> Additional Include Directories -> Edit -> Add (Your path to Irrlicht\include)
:D Project -> Properties -> Linker -> General -> Additional Library Directories -> Edit -> Add (Your path to Irrlicht\libWin32-visualstudio)
* * * Your path to Irrlicht will depend on where you extracted it. As an example, my paths looks like this "C:\irrlicht-1.8.4\include" and "C:\irrlicht-1.8.4\lib\Win32-visualstudio"
* * * There is a white box to the right of "Additional Include Directories" and "Additional Library Directories". You need to click in the white box to see the edit button.

6) Copy Irrlicht.dll from Irrlicht\bin\Win32-VisualStudio and place a copy in your working directory.
* * * I created a project called ProjectTestIrrlicht. The path to my working directory is "C:\Users\brett\source\repos\ProjectTestIrrlicht\ProjectTestIrrlicht". Your path will look different depending on the name and where you saved it, but notice you have to go into a folder of your project name twice. You know you are in the right folder if you see the projectName.cpp file.

* Notes *
1) Windows 10 - DirectX9 SDK - Miscrosoft Visual Studio 2019 - Irrlicht version 1.8.4
2) I tested this by doing the first tutorial (Hello World). Remember, in that tutorial you need to change your mesh paths to where you extracted Irrlict. For me, the paths became "C:/irrlicht-1.8.4/media/sydney.md2" and "C:/irrlicht-1.8.4/media/sydney.bmp".
3) I have WinGW compiler installed, but I don't think that will matter if you are using Visual Studio. I was trying to get Irrlicht to work in Eclipse, but I couldn't figure that out.