Game project: Quantum [FINISHED!]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Tihtinen

Post by Tihtinen »

The game has been finished. Download links and details are in the first post.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Great to hear that you finally finished your game :)
I will totally try it out tomorrow and give you some feedback than! :wink:
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

I finished the first 2 levels and this is a really nice game.
Maybe you should check your shadow map resolution (light max value) because quality is very bad (mostly on lvl2, lvl1 is Ok).
Beside this, I really like it, maybe it's a little too slow.
XXChester

Post by XXChester »

I will be trying this out tonight after work. Congratulations on finishing the game.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Didn't work on wine :(
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
XXChester

Post by XXChester »

Loved it, I think it is fantastic for your first game. It of course needs some improvement but any project does.

That being said I did manage to crash it while playing through it. See below;
Resolution: 1024:768
Fullscreen: false
Vysnch: true
City level: couple seconds in after the 2 bosses spawn the game throws an exception. Must not be major because as long as I don't tell the visual studio debugger to do anything I can finish the level. As soon as I click cancel or anything on the debugger the game crashes.

One other thing I noticed in the later levels (more so) and I am not sure if it was intended. If I do not build/do anything after a horde spawns and I kill them, and sit there I can gain more power and eventually another horde spawns, whereas if I keep clicking stuff the hordes seem to just keep spawning. Whether this was intended or not it made it easier to beat the higher levels (I still have 2 to play but they will have to wait for another day).

All in all, I loved it. Again congratulations.
Tihtinen

Post by Tihtinen »

Thank you everyone for your comments, and also thanks to everyone that has had time to play our game : )
Didn't work on wine :(
Must be because the game uses the Direct3D9 driver. I once tried and none of the Irrlicht examples ran on Wine using D3D9. OpenGL driver on the other hand ran fine. But yes, if I haven't mentioned already this game is Windows-only... sorry to hear you couldn't play. There's a video in youtube if you still want to see how it plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGiY6qxhRg (video is missing the mouse cursor so don't wonder about that :D)
I finished the first 2 levels and this is a really nice game. Maybe you should check your shadow map resolution (light max value) because quality is very bad (mostly on lvl2, lvl1 is Ok).
Thanks for the compliment : )
Low quality shadows are likely due to a small shadowmap resolution and low filtering, at least on shadow qualities medium and below (but high-mode really brings down the performance as well).
Loved it, I think it is fantastic for your first game. It of course needs some improvement but any project does.
Again, thanks : ) And I am well aware that the game still has flaws, but I hope there aren't any too fatal ones : )
City level: couple seconds in after the 2 bosses spawn the game throws an exception. Must not be major because as long as I don't tell the visual studio debugger to do anything I can finish the level. As soon as I click cancel or anything on the debugger the game crashes.
Ok, thanks for the report. I might look into it after I have some more free time (school projects are killing me... :D).
One other thing I noticed in the later levels (more so) and I am not sure if it was intended. If I do not build/do anything after a horde spawns and I kill them, and sit there I can gain more power and eventually another horde spawns, whereas if I keep clicking stuff the hordes seem to just keep spawning. Whether this was intended or not it made it easier to beat the higher levels (I still have 2 to play but they will have to wait for another day).
Could you please be a little more specific, I didn't quite understand. But if I understood anything, yes it is well intended that the flower gains a small amount energy even by doing nothing at all (?). But the "clicking stuff" part I didn't get :D
XXChester

Post by XXChester »

I was saying that it seemed like if I kept building towers or using effects the hordes kept spawning right away but if I let a horde just die I would get a break between spawns and be able to gain more power.

My biggest complaint would be the scaling mechanism. I felt all the levels up to the last one were very easy (beat it in 1-3 tries) but the last level (before the bonus; haven't tried it yet) was extremely hard. It took me probably 20+ tries to beat it. The only other complaint I would have is the water doesn't look anything like water in "The Island" level and there is way to much blur in the game, I found it hurt my eyes a lot after a couple hours.

One suggestion I would make also is to make the power towers cost lower, I found it was very difficult to have the time to make a power tower with their current cost. Usually by the end of the level I would have 1 at or close to 300 and another at like 75 because it would take so long to have enough of a defense to be able to make these and not kill the flower.

But still, all in all I enjoyed it very much. I would love to see this project continued; although you sound finished with it.

Thanks for the fun.
Tihtinen

Post by Tihtinen »

XXChester wrote:I was saying that it seemed like if I kept building towers or using effects the hordes kept spawning right away but if I let a horde just die I would get a break between spawns and be able to gain more power.
Oh, the hordes and bosses are pretty much predefined (or at least their spawn times and enemy counts are), but they might decide to strike from your weakest/strongest point in defence depending on the situation : )
XXChester wrote:But still, all in all I enjoyed it very much. I would love to see this project continued; although you sound finished with it.

Thanks for the fun.
Thank you for playing the game and for giving such good feedback : ) And yes, we consider the project finished because we both need to move on to new stuff. This project served as a pretty good introduction to 3D graphics and now it's time to try something more challenging : )
netpipe

Re: Game project: Quantum [FINISHED!]

Post by netpipe »

is there a github or svn link for this ?
Live long and phosphor!
-- https://github.com/netpipe/Luna Game Engine Status 95%