drawIndexedTriangleList not showing texture

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
WizardofChaos

drawIndexedTriangleList not showing texture

Post by WizardofChaos »

Hi there,

I'm working with an axial billboard implementation and trying to apply a texture to said billboard, but it doesn't appear to be rendering a texture onto the list of triangles that get rendered. The positioning on the billboard seems fine, just... not getting any textures. It's using a custom scene node, and the render code for the material looks like this:

Code: Select all

driver->setTransform(video::ETS_WORLD, mat);
			driver->setMaterial(getMaterial(0));
			// finally I draw it 
			driver->drawIndexedTriangleList(vertices, 4, indices, 2);
The code for setting the material textures looks like this:

node->setMaterialTexture(0, driver->getTexture("assets/effects/laser.png"));
	node->setMaterialType(EMT_TRANSPARENT_ADD_COLOR);
	node->setMaterialFlag(EMF_LIGHTING, false);
	node->setMaterialFlag(EMF_BACK_FACE_CULLING, false);
...and finally in the constructor the coordinates are set like this:

video::SColor color = video::SColor(255, 255, 255, 255);
			vertices[0].TCoords.set(0.0f, 0.0f);
			vertices[0].Color = color;
			vertices[1].TCoords.set(1.0f, 0.0f);
			vertices[1].Color = color;
			vertices[2].TCoords.set(1.0f, 1.0f);
			vertices[2].Color = color;
			vertices[3].TCoords.set(0.0f, 1.0f);
			vertices[3].Color = color;
The end result of all this being:

What's going wrong is that it's just using the color given in the vertices, but I'm at a loss as to how to make it use the texture coordinates instead. This seems to be the same as how a billboard scene node renders a texture. Any advice on what I'm screwing up here?
Local man gets so irritated with modern space sims that he starts writing his own
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: drawIndexedTriangleList not showing texture

Post by CuteAlien »

I don't see a problem in the posted code. drawIndexedTriangleList is just short-form for drawVertexPrimitiveList with EVT_STANDARD and scene::EPT_TRIANGLES. Which is the one used by nearly all nodes.

Maybe set a breakpoint at driver->setMaterial(getMaterial(0)); and check if it really has a valid texture at that point?

Other possibility would be that your texture doesn't work well with EMT_TRANSPARENT_ADD_COLOR. Does it show anything if you just use EMT_SOLID?
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
WizardofChaos

Re: drawIndexedTriangleList not showing texture

Post by WizardofChaos »

I found the problem; it was a pretty silly fix.

The lack-of-texture was just the material not being set up properly and referencing a different material in the "getMaterial" call. D'oh. That got fixed. Then I ran into an error with the transparency, but that was another simple fix.

The render register call was using auto-detection instead of making sure it was transparent. The code in question got changed to this:

if (IsVisible)
            {
                SceneManager->registerNodeForRendering(this, irr::scene::ESNRP_TRANSPARENT);
                ISceneNode::OnRegisterSceneNode();
            }
And it worked perfectly. Turns out it was idiot programmer error. As are most things.
Local man gets so irritated with modern space sims that he starts writing his own