Please shed some light (vc++ 6 not working)

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Il_Pax

Please shed some light (vc++ 6 not working)

Post by Il_Pax »

Hi, I've tried Irrlicht using Dev-c++ and so far it works ok, however Directx doesn't works, found a thread saying that currently 9c isn't supported.

Installed Visual c++ v. 6 and whenever i change the type of device (using the hello world example) i get:

EDT_SOFTWARE = debug error file i386\checksp.c the value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call.
EDT_NULL = same as above
EDT_DIRECTX8= directX driver was not compiled into this dll. Try OpenGL. Error: could not load built-in font.
EDT_DIRECTX9= directX driver was not compiled into this dll. Try OpenGL. Error: could not load built-in font.
EDT_OPENGL= debug error file i386\checksp.c the value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call.

Any ideas on how to solve this?
thanks.

Using win 2k, SP 4
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

you must build the Irrlicht engine and include directX's sdk "include" and "lib" folders(msvc6- go to -tools-options-firectories) (also add Irrlicht's necesary folders). Once you get your dll compiled, place it in the same place your .exe is located.

if you don't want to download the full DXsdk (more than 200 mb) you can grab the include and lib folders here:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/files/Tools.zip

the zip also includes other Irrlicht-related tools.

Post by Guest »

Hi, thanks for your reply, somehow, my computer went mad, because i still get errors. I guess compiling my own dll would help.

I made a google search on the error code that i was getting and some guys did suggested that it was either buffer overrun or a problem in the calling convention. As both of them go really far away from my actual comprehension, i guess i better stick to that opengl device (which is the one i can run) using dev-c++ and irrlicht .7 Getting rid of VC++ will be fun, some more space for content.

I tried to use the files posted by GFXstyLER in dev-c++, however all what my screen displays is the window, without the model. (Actually, opengl works, but no Direct X..)

Shame on Ati for making so slow and buggy opengl drivers, anyways, thanks.
Il_Pax

Post by Il_Pax »

Ok, now this is really weird. I was playing around with some of the samples, and the collision tutorial does work with Direct X... just wanted to let you know, hopefully i might use it for my own stuff. :roll: (Using Dev-c++ and the files by GFXstyLER)