Ogre 1.0

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Robomaniac

Ogre 1.0

Post by Robomaniac »

Ogre 1.0 is set to be released tomorrow!

http://www.ogre3d.org
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
bal

Post by bal »

Hurray :) ! Though I don't really care because I'm using the CVS HEAD which is already done :wink:. But updated docs/tutorials etc will be fun indeed :).
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

The new resource manager was maddening for the first day I used, especially without any tut/documentation other from the OGRE code itself. But now I got quite accustomed to using it. :) I still stick to my opinion that the old one was easier lol.

PS - Irrlicht really needs some sort of resource manager. :)
Staring through eyes of hate we kill
Are we controlled, or is our own will...?
(Edguy)
Electron

Post by Electron »

In NX++ there is a separate ResourceManager class, though I think the Ogre one has more functionality.
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
cartoonit

Post by cartoonit »

Ogre or Irrlicht??? or IrrlichtNX or this could go on for a while... Personally I would have thought IrrlichtNX and Ogre are now being developed at around the same pace, both being CVS driven?? Also run by a core set of developers, I had a brief look at Ogre at the start of my project, but something put me off it, and I can't remember!!! Think I will look at it once I get some free time back to myself!!!!

As for Irrlicht the development is rather slow because it's just down to Niko, but is it true that when Niko releases the next version it will be intergrated with IrrlichtNX???
bal

Post by bal »

cartoonit wrote:Ogre or Irrlicht??? or IrrlichtNX or this could go on for a while... Personally I would have thought IrrlichtNX and Ogre are now being developed at around the same pace, both being CVS driven??

True.
cartoonit wrote:Also run by a core set of developers,
IrrlichtNX++ is mainly developed by mm765 whereas wumpus, sinbad, temas and mental are developing Ogre.
cartoonit wrote:I had a brief look at Ogre at the start of my project, but something put me off it, and I can't remember!!! Think I will look at it once I get some free time back to myself!!!!
I think you lost interest because of the unified .mesh format and the trouble with the exporters...
cartoonit wrote:As for Irrlicht the development is rather slow because it's just down to Niko, but is it true that when Niko releases the next version it will be intergrated with IrrlichtNX???
Noone knows except for niko himself. He didn't merge NX with 0.7 though.
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
cartoonit

Post by cartoonit »

Was NX out when he released 0.7, note that this is only when I really starting programming in 3D round about the release of 0.7. I'd heard a rumour that they were getting merged when Niko releases the next version of Irrlicht. Maybe I was just tripping??!!

No there was something else, I think it might have been the documentation when I looked at i thought it was pretty poor compared to that of Irrlicht.
brcolow_notlogged

Post by brcolow_notlogged »

It was speculated and believed that Niko would contribute to IrrlichtNX after the release of 0.7 but this never happened. Thus, IrrlichtNX has changed to NX++ and is pretty much overhauling entirely from Irrlicht. To merge 0.8 with NX++ would make no sense. Already, almost everything Niko has planned is in NX++ and the code-base is pretty different (or will be after v 0.0.4 of NX++, after the rendering system restructure.
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Ogre just reached 1.0 Final. Congrats to them and best of luck with their upcoming releases!
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
LordNaikon

Post by LordNaikon »

YEAHHHAA!

i was waiting sooo long for this :P
q|^.^|p beeing every time friendly to everyone
sys: 2500+Barton 512MB 6600GT WinXP