realistic water

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!

realistic water

Post by Guest »

In the special effects demo, the water looks fine, until you move the camera between the water, and the floor which is beneath the water. Is there any way of improving this, so there is an underwater style effect? If I include any swimming in my game, the water in the tutorial wouldn't be adequate.
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

At runtime, you will have to detect an "underwater" scene and react in accordance. Camera motions, distortions, bubbles etc.

How to detect if the camera is inside a water scene node will be a nice challenge though...

Hard-coded positions would be plain dumb execpt for testing purposes. If you'd be using a bsp mapper, then you might make use of entities.
itguru80

Post by itguru80 »

I was also thinking......

Is it possible in Irrlicht to do animation of a body moving through water?

So say you wanted to put a boat on the water, move it along, and have some sort of wake flowing out the back?

I assume this woule require a physics or particle engine?
Pete
Life is wonderful
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

I'd suggest creating a nice looking effect with a particle system. A water physic engine would suck up a lot of resources.

FYI I don't think its implemented even in Havok, so doing one by yourself will be near impossible...

Post by Guest »

You can also give to the scene a medium high and test your poition with this high. if your altitude is less than this value, then your camera is under water. I think i will use this technic to test if my ship is under water or not...
vorschau

simple and fine water

Post by vorschau »

check my water - whith backface culling you can get under it an remember the mesh u use - only the points whithin are animated

// Wasseroberfläche
scene::ISceneNode* wasser = 0;
scene::IAnimatedMesh* nass = smgr->getMesh("wasser.3ds");

if (nass)
{
wasser = smgr->addWaterSurfaceSceneNode(nass->getMesh(0), 3.0f, 300.0f, 30.0f);
wasser->getMaterial(0) .BackfaceCulling = false;
wasser->setMaterialType(video::EMT_TRANSPARENT_ADD_COLOR);

}