Doing advanced collisions and animators sugestion...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Domin

Doing advanced collisions and animators sugestion...

Post by Domin »

Hello. At first sorry for my terrible english ;)

I'm new in Irrlicht, previously i was using other engine to write my apps. I have got

some question about advanced collisions - lets imagine that situation: we have a

long, empty corridor (this is our main map) loaded as 3ds. Of course doing collision

detection on that map isn't any problem. But now we want to add a big 'box' in midle

of this corridor ('box'is another, independent 3ds model). We doing collision in this

situation gathering all selector (octree selectors in my example) in

IMetaTriangleSelector. Ok - so far so good. But now we want to add a moving behaviour

to our 'box' which starts slidng inside the corridor. And there is a problem - when

camera is moving collisions are detected correctly, but when camera stops and when

moving 'box' should 'push' the camera nothing happens ('box' goes through camera). I

think that in this situation forces must be calculated for both: camera and 'box'

(every <moving> object must affect camera). So is this situation already implemented

in Irrlicht? If yes how to do this? I think that this is very important thing for

making elevators, doors, and even other moving models on map in most games...

And one more thing - animators. If i assume correctly we have only two animators that

moving nodes - flycircle and flystraight. Both works great, but i think that very

useful and universal should be animator that moves node using spline - we simply may

add some points where the node may travel. For each point we may declare other speed

or time to travel (some looping and direction change options should be great too)...

And again, sorry for any (many :) errors...
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

English isn`t my native languate either, but I was able to understand everything you wrote. :)
The problem you described - correct collision with moving objects like platforms or doors - is not supported yet in Irrlicht, sorry. But you could try to do it using a physics engine, like Tokamak or ODE. There are tutorials on the website showing how to do this.