Howto #2: The world isn't flat, it's a donut!

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
saigumi

Howto #2: The world isn't flat, it's a donut!

Post by saigumi »

My second Howto in doing game based programming in Irrlicht: How to create a repeating world.

These routines should be generic enough to use in any 3D engine, but are tuned to Irrlicht.

I hope to be able to clean up and generalize some code so that a workable source is available for lootage.

Please leave comments, discuss any improvements, or any other ideas here.

http://www.saigumi.net/archives/000027.html

If everything goes well, I should have a guide on dealing with static objects in this world.
Crud, how do I do this again?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Again, that's a nice howto. I should rewrite the comment on the link from irrlicht.sf.net to your site. I hope that your code still works with the next release of the engine, but if not, I hope there should not be much changes necessary.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Break it as much as you want, I'll keep fixing it.
knightoflight

Post by knightoflight »

my first test of a terrain with brute force method now looks nice (now i use raw-maps from file), but the problem of a brute force terrain is known - the performance breaks (in my example a 256x256 map is fps=17).

So for a game there are better algorithms like CLOD ( maybe i try next), but for a really BIG world in a game, your way, saigumi, i think is better than all these algorithms, the performance should be good every time.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Uploaded zip of the source for easy modification and learning.

http://www.saigumi.net/irrlichtdemo/donut.zip