Take'em for a test drive!!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
afecelis
Admin

Take'em for a test drive!!

Post by afecelis »

Hi guys!!

Just uploaded my 2 latest tests with Jox's lmts loader and Zdimitor's My3d format. Grab them here:

lmts:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/files/mylmts.zip

My3d:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/files/Laguito.zip

wasd navigation, alt+f4 to quit, opengl cause dx looked horrible with the zbuffer jaggies problem.

in the my3d example you begin in the dark side of the project; look for the light!!! he eh he :D
bal

Post by bal »

Both demos are very nice. The last one takes a while to load and consumes about ~168MB of memory here :shock:. Although the shadows are a bit pixelated they look still very convincing.
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

bal! as usual you're the first to post on my stuff.

yup, My3d format usually takes long loading the lightmaps and geometry and stuff. And imagine if it looks a bit pixelated in Ogl, how it looks in DX!!! lol

So the bigger the level and the more complex, the worse it will be loading stuff. The good thing is that this is an actual model we're developing in 3dsmax and we could load it completely, no optimizations, no polycount reduce. So that's quite a success; I mean to see something we could only see in renders, in realtime at an acceptable framerate :D , and also check that the doors and fences are actually made of meshes and not bitmaps, so that increases mesh count a lot; finally, the horizontal elemnts (so close) generate a kinetic effect that migh be part of the visual bug, heheheh

The lmts secne is much smaller in size and complexity; a simple room to try lightmaps. I had forgotten lmts was also very good.

thnx for commenting :D
TheRLG

Post by TheRLG »

both look really awesome. i love the detail in the bigger level, and with a moderate loading time... will be fine with a loading screen...cough BF1942 cough... overall id say the only thing i wasnt fond of was the fact that we cant simulate a real sun! :P extreeeemely close but just a little bit more ambient light around the place and im totally content. :) awesome job :D
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Those both look great.
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
Tyrus

Post by Tyrus »

Hi,

you got really nice stuff here but i have noticed some things.

It looks like there is no phong shading in the first demo. The second demo is really cool but it took 400mb of ram here.

Have you exported the lightmaps from max or have u used an other app for this?

Sorry for my bad english :wink:
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

Yea, both very nice. But Laguito not only memory eating like woah but also slow as duh... :)
It is like it is. And because it is like it is, things are like they are.
Tyrus

Post by Tyrus »

80-130 fps on an AMD 2700+, 1gb ddr 333 ram and a radeon 9800pro
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

Laguito takes 500 MB ram and runs at 4 fps.

Intel Centrino (not Celeron ;) ) 1700 Mhz, ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility Pro Turbo, 1GB RAM

The other demo runs at 300+ fps
laforced

Post by laforced »

Laguito was running at about 2-3 fps on InteP4 1.5gig,1gig ddr ram,
256meg video card(good drivers). Did you by chance compile it in
debug mode and not release mode? The same size meshs level from
Deled runs at 50+ fps. I even re-sized texes for only a gain of (1)
frame per second.
If you're not making GREAT games
you belong in an institute!
The Game Institute.
www.gameinstitute.com
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

hey guys thanks for all the rplies and comments!! They're very helpful.

What grabs my attention the most is Laguito being such a resource hog.I hadn't payed any attention to the fact that it ate so much ram in just a few seconds!!! Nevertheless I'm getting 160 fps, but this is bad since it means I wouldnt be able to run it on some systems. I think it has to do directly with the fact that all the lightmaps are getting embedded into the My3d file, and I'm baking them at 512x512 so each tga is a bit too heavy. Perhaps I should try rendering to texture at 256x256 to see if it gets any better. The rest has to do with all the geometry and textures that need to get loaded.

@Tyrus: for laguito I used Zdimitor's my3d 3dsmax exporter to get geometry and lightmaps into Irrlicht. For the second demo, I used Lordtranco's Pulsar Lmtools with Jox's Irrlicht loader. I know My3d supports different types of materials, but unfortunately Lmts not. So that's why you see no phong materials in it. Unless LordTrancos finally releases his new version.

It seems like lmts is less resource demmanding than My3d (although they're differnt in size)

Gonna try a new baking at 256x256 in laguito, meanwhile I uploaded a new version of the lmts map with some simulated volumetric con lights and fog:
same link:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/files/mylmts.zip

Jox, and the rest of the guys, thnx for trying it out.

download the new lmts project, and soon new laguito :D
Last edited by afecelis on Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

Nice the new mylmts. Would be even better if the light cones would match the light on the walls (also in color). And I'd also make them i little less opaque (more transparent). :)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

hehehe, yup, I'm working on them (cones), believe me. There's something weird cause the cones match exactly the target lights in 3dsmax, but get distorted once exported :shock: :shock:

so I gotta tweak them perhaps directly in Irrlicht. Anyway, there's the intention, heheheh :D
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

laguito:
yes... 4 FPS!!! VERY SLOW! :!:
looks buggy
it took 50 seconds to load...

mylmts:
speed is good
there is small strange bugs around the corners.
looks good.
great work.

My computer specs:
  • Pentium 4 3.06Ghz
    512 MB RAM
    Windows XP home
    HD 160GB SATA
    Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 w/DirectX 9 support. Up to 224MB shared video memory
    (Latest drivers for everything)
I know it's not a very good computer for gaming... It lacks a graphic card. But it's still really better than my previous computer (Pentium 3 1GHZ, 256MB RAM, Geforce2 64MB). This new computer is very faster, and it support directx9 and all the shaders (my previous computer didn't support shaders at all). I bought it because it was really cheap (999$Can with a DVD-RW 16x dvd burner, a scanner-printer combo, a 17" LCD screen, and there is empty slots for everything) and I'm very satisfied. ;) So I would expect laguito to be better on my new computer (the per-pixel lighting example runs at 290 FPS and it looks better).

I suspect it's the fault of my simili-graphic card. A quick research told me that this new generation of intel graphic controllers are good enough with shaders and effects (really better than the old Extreme Graphics2) , but they lag a LOT when there is a lot of polygons (it is the case here).

Anyway, I will buy a graphic card later (I don't have money anymore)
Last edited by cmoibenlepro on Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

mmmmmmm you're getting the same error in opengl I'm getting when I run them in DX. Weird!! I bet DX will show up ok on your pc. Perhaps it has something to do with zdimitor's opengl fix? (oh, no, cause you're using my dll oops)

About the 50 seconds to load; check the log screen, it's loading each lightmap, each texture and each mesh!!!! I think it's more something to be rethought by Zdimitor in order to gain up some laoding speed. But the fps and the memory consumption still worries me. Gonna check my code for bugs, and also try it with 256x256 lightmaps.

thnx for your comments Cmoibenlepro :D those wird things in the corners... I thought they only ocurred in DX. If you check my SS in opengl you'll see I'm not getting them... funny....

take care pal!!! :D :D