Is Irrlicht the right engine for what I want to do?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
thecraft

Is Irrlicht the right engine for what I want to do?

Post by thecraft »

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to both Irrlicht and C++ (in fact, Irrlicht is the reason I'm learning C++) and have a few questions. When I first downloaded Irrlicht, I expected I would be all set to create a game with it, until I read the FAQ. "1. Irrlicht is an graphics engine, not game engine (so no sound nor networking, only some basic collision is built in)"

So I was wondering if a C++ newbie could create a decent 3D game with Irrlicht if I used other APIs for sound and such? Or would it just be better if I tried another engine?

Anyways, the first full-scale game project I was intending to do was a Helicopter Simulation similar to the old Comanche games. I heard that Irrlicht supports terrain rendering, but I've also heard it was slow aswell. Just how slow is it really? I'm planing on low-detail but large maps.
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

If you're a newbie, then Irrlicht will probably be the best choice, because its easy to learn and use. Even though you have to use third party libs for sound, network, etc. But this comes later anyhow.

edit: not to mention the newbie-friendly community :)
It is like it is. And because it is like it is, things are like they are.
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

edit: not to mention the newbie-friendly community
I'll second that. (newbie to both c++ and irrlicht myself)
But be prepared to spend some time searching the forums, as well as general c++ tuts.
Oh, and keep a bottle of aspirin nearby :)

Good luck!
yjlchina

It's a long way top go

Post by yjlchina »

If you want to create a decent 3D game. I think there is a long way to go.
Irrlicht is not a commercial engine. It does't cover every element of making a 3D game. But it's really a good place to start.
thecraft

Post by thecraft »

I forgot to mention that this game was going to be freeware. :)
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

Hurry up, we can't wait for it! ;)
It is like it is. And because it is like it is, things are like they are.