real 3D Text

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
markus

real 3D Text

Post by markus »

Hi *,
since the integrated textnode for placing text in 3D space doesn't work very well and as it is only some billboard kind of text, i'd like to have a class that allows to write characters with real deepness (like meshes).

Is there anywhere some code that could be used?

Any hints how this could be achieved?

Greetings
Markus
ntitan

Post by ntitan »

I know this a bit late of a reply, but I was just pondering how to do this my self and saw this message while searching the forum.

My current plan is to create the characters 0 - 9 in the 3dsmax individually.
Then I think it will just be a matter of loading them as nodes and placing them where you want. In my case it's going to be for the players score, so I'm thinking I'll just remove and rebuild the nodes when I need to change the number.

Chow.
Nihal
markus

Post by markus »

Finally a reply :D
My current plan is to create the characters 0 - 9 in the 3dsmax individually.
Yes. That was my idea too. Since i have family and don't want to pay a fortune for a modeller i did this with anim8or. This modeller is free and totaly fits my needs.
I've modelled each character and numbers as single mesh. Now i need to write a class that receives a string and assembles it using the character meshes. This shouldn't be that hard. Nevertheless it would be great to have this in the engine itself.

Greetings
Markus