another ship for Blaze...

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

sending the ship to afe....

need to detail the second independent texture...

but so that they have something to play with...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

...heheheheeee....

afe gmail account wont take two megs...argh...this gmail goodness...is not so good... ;)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

really? so why do they say it's 2 gigs?

ummmmm

then send it to my yahoo account:

amp2engineatyahoodotcom

:D

wanna see wanna see!!!!!

ps. have you sent it to Mohaps yet?
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

HEHE

yep

gmail is not as good as it seems...besides the privacy issue... ;)

k, see, I am very close to ending the texture. Is quite, quite detailed...for my usual indy collaboration, I mean ;)

So, tonight, some hours later I mean, I'll instead send the very final version probably to this and another email u gave me....

As that'd be the very final one.

Only one doubt.

Have tried and , maybe is I am not experienced in Milkshape ways, but have not been able to import an OBJ that has two materials, each witha different texture of 1024, each asigned exactly to halve of the model...that is each simetric part has asigned a different texture, and is important it keeps so, as if someone has to change that othe rthan me, huston, there's gonna be problems... ;)

Finally I'm in a point I like the model . ;)

Not that I wouldn't continue detailing on and on, but is good to close, now :)

I'll post some screenies...of the final thing, in the state it's gonna be left..

Oh, no, I don't have mohaps email, send it to him if you'r so kind... :)

saludosssss
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I must say I'm very impressed by Wings3d modeling capabilities. I had never used it before but I started with a tutorial and in no time I got addicted to it!!! I just wanted to model everything that crossed my mind with it. I hadn't felt this modeling potential even in 3dsmax!

Now I understand why you use it for modeling. Subdivision modeling is one of the best I've seen even in commercial packages.

here's a sketch of leehlooh, my schnauzer, lol:(not finished yet)

I'm loving this modeler, man!

:D :D
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

end...

I'd keep on detailing for ever, but must rush into other pending stuff....

the frontier explorer is done... I know...the pilot *really* doesn't care bout his ship....hehe. It has suffered some..."encounters" often while exploring....

hehe...sorry, couldn't resist.....

...All painted absolutely from scratch, by hand. No photos. Only used a pair of ttf fonts for the letter, not gonna draw letter by letter, hehe...though later on it has a lot of paint over.

Well, closed thing. Gonna send to Afe now....

Oh, as u see, the fuel fire is only a yello-white texture....by no means is meant to be so...I guess u'll be able to apply an engine code glow, self emitting, or some kind of effect...

the main technical problem I see is...I dunno if Milkshape can import two materials(each with atexture), each applied to a part of the same object...

And the key here is...I REALLY need that is not lost that asignment in OBJ, those verts/faces really must have the materials with their textures as is in the OBJ....

Inform me please if it goes well...

I guess if not maybe possible some intermediate format, dunno.
hehe, is no pro work, but non the less has been an effort (specially as wanted to do hand painted totally) ;it'd be a pitty if can't be used.

Oh, Afe, yup...Wings is ...GREAT :)
As u see, it works for modelling characters (my usual task) , as well as any other thing...real life objects, an space ship, whatever.

Is very fast, yep. :)

I've used it for all my real time and hi res stuff. yet though I've modelled with lots of other modellers. All have advantages...

lol, I have one dog similar to that one..:)

As a last note...as u see, lighting does a lot...
as that model is not actually lit...is only captures from bad opengl non antialiased, of my modellers and tools....
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

hope u forgive me someday....

sending the 3' 9 MB file to the 3 of the emails u gave me...lol..
I suppose one will arrive....

Well, so...

it's 2,332 triangles
2 TGAs of 1024x1024 each.

beware. SOem softwares, like Ultimate Unwrap, dont understand well TGAs, and change inverting the image... the texture in 2d can be seen with any 2d tool..irfanview show the 42 at top left(inverted as teh uv chunk of pilot place is upside down)...I hope there's no probs...
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

thnx Ver!

those little personal touches like the bullets really look cool!

thank for the help and time you invested in the model and on helping us!

checking emails to see if something finally went thru.
once again, mil gracias!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

hey great news! the file arrived ok at the 3 email accounts!!

I think Gmail was undergoing one of those "typical" maintenances.

checking the files now!!! :D :D

ps. Leehlooh sends regards to your doggie!!! she says she's available and that she likes Spanish dogs a lot!! he he he hehe :wink:
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

You made that in wings3d????
I may have to take a second look at that app.
That ship is looking great. :)
What program are you using to paint with?
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

you'd better, MikeR. Wings3d deserves a whole lot of respect and nothing but good comments.

I myself am very pleased and sattisfied with it. Now I can focus on using 3dsmax for rendering and postproduction purposes and import models created in wings, and texturing them in uwrap3d.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

yup

indeed, the importer and exporter of OBJ (by all means I recomend this format for travelling between packages) in wings is..plainly fantastic. No matter if u import into Blender , or Ultimate Uwnrap (but probaly these two tools loose hard edges info, as don't have that feature that Wings and Max have) or...how I used to do in my last jobs, import the OBJ with the great habware.at obj max plugins....I *know* it works great as I used to bang models like a model library everyday for my partener at job who was in charge of level integration and building in 3ds max, and of course the lightmaps.

My workflow was wings->ultimate unwrap->max. Fantastic... I use to do so with my static models and of course with my characters.(well, in the middle, I make the texture)

...it's the modeler that suits me more...is the best? for me, yes. But because I am really faster with it. But...I guess Lightwave is something really powerful. The best models I have seen were done with Lightwave and Mirai (Wings3d is inspired on Nendo, the little similar modeller to the complete package Mirai (lord of the rings gollum modelled with it...))...

So... It's not that there's magic...there are VERY good modelers around , today. I started in a master with 3d Studio 4.0 for MS-DOS, almost 10 years ago...man , that was limited....Today the power you can have is inmense. Modo, Zbrush(I purchased it and like it for some stuff) , Silo, Lightwave , don't forget the modelling power of XSI.... Even Max, whose modeller I didn't never liked much, with certain plugins, like orion flame, meshtools, polymagus, etc, get near of what it should be...lol, many features are copied from the Wings-Mirai modelling style...and even with them, there's lots of fast modeling aproachs that aren't there....

But Wings3d has its limits. Max can model with splines, and can do virtually ANYTHING....not only in modelling. So, my personal solution keeps being using all that suit a task...for that task.

WIngs3d AutoUV is improving at higher speed now, and...well, I have to mention, the other day I made a model totally uv mapped with it...I didn't know it well, is better than I thought, and someday it will compete with even specific uv mapping tools. Ultimate Unwrap is too advanced, but the organic mapping that Wings can do is a very nice advantage.
So, I'm again, mixing tools, and even a task reserved only for Ultimate, is being shared now with Wings AutoUv.

I have worked in production environments (games) and largely proved the workflow Wings->ultimate->max or just Wings->max (my mate really had the way of the max uvmapping) is totally great.This last one, direct way is better in certain way: u don't loose smoothing. But a trick to not loose it is do groups in wings as u would make smooth groups in max (or do materials, and mark "make groups from materials" in export) , as the, once in Ultimate, u make ur mapping, and can export again those groups, as "smooth groups" if u mark it in export obj.

i say all this as is important in games. texturing is important, and modelling, but the smoothing can wreck a model if bad applied.

I have modeled with metasequoia, another free modeler (LE version only for free projects) :

And wings not only help u model ships (well, actually all is in your modelling skills! the tool is just a tool. ) :

(I left it as permanent just-started wip )

@MikeR , Mainly Deep Paint3d 2.0 (purchased) , using all the time it's 3d paint and 2d modes.... but also a lot of work with gimp.

Thanks all for the cumpliments :)

@afecelis ...hehe, you sure of that my dog and yours?...then it's gonna be a lesbianic relation, as u said yours was a 'she'.... ;) hehe

...actually, this model has not much work in modelling (true that I'm very fast modelling but slowr texturing/uvmapping...or its just that I don't like much these tasks, so I procastinate a way lot more....) Don't asign to Wings3d what was actually achieved with the texture ;)

Oh, btw: Don't expect magic from any tool. Deep Paint3d, wings, unwrap3d, can do nothing without certain dirty tricks an da lot of work...

I say this as...well, i like free software, or at least, no cost software...As u see, I'm a software purchaser(and so, supporter) , but I believe WAY more in the free route (open source(bsd, gpl) or not) . So...the tasks that DeepPaint3d does...can be done with Tatoo, I 'hope' the link is at tool's sticky list....Tatoo, like Metasequoia (fantastic easy to learn modeler) is free for non comercial projects. So these can be used with any free game or mod. Wings can be used comercially, and Gimp(gimp 2.2.4 for windows works with wacom pressure, I discovered the trick of how to, hehe ) also.

but what is more...a CAREFUL modelling so to keep thw wires flow "easy-to-texture" (and this is impossible to know how till u make a lot of texturings) ....usually an ordered mesh, and even wasting some polies so to allow later on an "understandable" uv unwrap. As that is essential, that once so, u can then unwrap in chunks very 'human readable'. You will have to texture that crap later...hehe.

So, achieving that in a god like way...texturing is no issue for a good 2d painter, u only yet need a tool to refresh the texture as u hit ctrl+s in the 2d painting software...3d Exploration 1.5 already did this, and there's a free version floating in the net (legal). Also, Ultimate Unwrap does this (al the time checks for change in the tetxure file and refresh if it changed)

pant, long post. been a while since the last one. Some advices.I have spent years of full dedication to modelling, texturing, uv mapping, 3d painting and 2d texturing, and character animation...and a whole(eek, long) life drawing traditional. There's no magic in any tool...it's all pain and tears... ;)
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Great post Vermeer. I've used wings in the past, but for nothing like what you and Al have made.
Keep going. The ship is looking great. :)
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

@ Afe!

ship fixed in the materials stuff in milkshape...(lol, I have one and never learnt how to use..only purchased for compatibility with mod mates...)

both materials, each with each texture, has now the correct asignment.

ready to load the ms3d in the irrlicht game....

only keep the textures in same folder as the *.ms3d.

I wanna see that ship "blazing" the skies.... ;)
give me a shout when i can see a test exe... ;)

@Miker Thank you! :)