new gui windows in fullscreen mode

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
dopyiii

new gui windows in fullscreen mode

Post by dopyiii »

Hi. It's me again.

I've got a question about doing gui window stuff in full screen. I'm creating a new gui device and letting it have focus in the middle of my game (think of an "intermediate" or "end of level screen"). In windowed mode, it works just fine. However, in full-screen mode, I see my mouse cursor come up and I know that the window has been created (an alt-F4 will close it and return focus to my game), but I can't see it.

I'm using directX (or openGl, it doesn't matter) as the main device. To create my new device, I'm using the software driver (if I don't I get an access violation). I'm basically doing the same thing that's done in the techdemo for the main screen.

What am I doing wrong and is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

Dopyiii
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

windows like anything in your project need to be created in the correct order.

this could be a more serious bug but I'm guessing the window is being created after the scenemanager and all the other stuff...it's being displayed on a 2d depth behind the 3d scene.

I can't think of a way to fix it without seeing your code.

If you care to send it to me I would be more then happy to try and fix this with you. my email can be found using the MSN button below.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

post some code...I have a modal info window and a fullscreen mode for Guice Beta and it works beautifully.
dopyiii

Post by dopyiii »

Hmm... Well, I am instantiating a class that contains the gui and then running a display function that creates a new device, scene manager, gui environment, etc. and then populates it. I designed it to be a stand-alone thing.

Could it be that I should have added the gui stuff to my "parent" gui environment and then just displayed that way instead? I suppose I could do that, but I'd have to rewrite tons of code.

I can make my code available to download if you want - I thin it's a bit large to post here.

Thanks!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

try doing the same thing but not in fullscreen and see if it works that way at least... otherwise post the code for download and I'll see what i can do.

sounds like a very irregular problem.
dopyiii

Post by dopyiii »

Midnight - it works just fine in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen.

I've posted the relevant source code on my server:
www.coldcrow.com/djackman/wpp/stuff.zip

I think that everything you'd need is in there. If you'd like the whole project to compile and play with, it's here:

www.coldcrow.com/djackman/wpp/morestuff.zip

I'd appreciate the help. As usual, I'm sure it's some dumb little thing that I missed :?
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

sorry I took so long but it appears I'm unable to download it.

if you want to fix the links I'll take a look.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

dopyiii wrote:Midnight - it works just fine in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen.
Oh right..

Forgot you mentioned that in the original post.

also it looks like your whole site is down.. I'll try back a little later then.
dopyiii

Post by dopyiii »

Sorry about that! I'll let you know when it's up and working again... :oops:

Post by Guest »

hell you could have started a free site and had it ready for download in about 10mins

..k any day now lol