illeagal action

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
bearSoft

illeagal action

Post by bearSoft »

hello
this is mostly not irrlicht but i would suspect that if there is a solution it would be known here -I get a win popup when i try to run
the basted thing is modal *grr*
I suspect that the error some way lies in the resourse -an image
I would SO like to read the error debug string that i for a split second see flashing away in the console
Can i 'peek' into the console (no...)
Can i catch the console content in a nifty way ..a file???
The problem is in Emil Halim 2d sprite class demo
Nice (btw - some small errors needs fixing)
t.y.
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |

Post by Guest »

Depends on your compiler.

MSVC (at least the IDE version) supports debugging. It may dump you back in assembly code, but it will allow you to at least find out the line and it may allow you to inspect the local variables.

Otherwise, maybe you can get a version of the Gnu debugger (gdb) for Windows.

If you can't get that, I'm afraid you'll just have to do a lot of printfs to the console (or log to a textfile) to determine where the error occurs.

With either of the last two options, you'll have to start a console window manually - because if it is opened automatically, the window is closed automaticallyas well.
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

If it's just the contents of the console you might use a pipe to more or redirection to a file. If I recall correctly Windows is using the same syntax as Unix systems, i.e. use
myprog.exe | more
to pipe to more or
myprog.exe >out.txt
to redirect to a file.
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

unfourtunately no file is created
t.y for ur respons.
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Kind of a quick and dirty approach, and sorta lame but does the trick.

I had this issue with something else a while back, I used some video editing software that allows you to capture your desktop and it's contents, cranked up the fps, ran the program, and then viewed the movie frame by frame till i saw when the error popped up. Maybe this'll help you.

I know it's lame, but i got what i needed to know quck.
Error 404
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

bearSoft wrote:unfourtunately no file is created
t.y for ur respons.
That's strange. If you go to the windows console and run

myprog.exe >stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

then 2 files should be created, normally...

What compiler do you use?

Which windows do you use?
It is like it is. And because it is like it is, things are like they are.
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

@Reverie
-i had that thought -but ..as u says ;)

@jox
i know why it does not work
to many param -eg files is in to deep in the filetree
changing that will be ..less amusing ;)
my tech specs is in my signature, 98 can propl not use such a long cmd string -couriously -WIN386.SWP grew as did a couple of other bug files
..->win-bvadr
Regards.