Help! Hello World crashes

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Sepia

Help! Hello World crashes

Post by Sepia »

Hello and thank you for being so useful. I managed to fix my problem, by changing my compiler and configuring the libraries and directories properly.
Unfortunately, however, the tutorial crashes when I launch it.

Has anyone had this experience before and if so, how did you resolve. it?

Any possibility that is may have something to do with the

createDevice(EDT_SOFTWARE, dimension2d<s32>(512, 384), 16,

In the tutorial it suggested changing the EDT_SOFTWARE setting, which I tried, but still get the same results.
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

What error(s) are you getting? And what platform/compiler/language/etc?
Error 404
Sepia

RE: Hello World Crash

Post by Sepia »

Reve..

Thank you for your replay. I am using Using Windows XP with DEV C++ and programming in C++.

DEV C++ appears to compile the program correctly, but when I RUN the application it does open and opens a error message Window stating that it has encountered some errors. And, lastly it asks if it wants me to send a report of the problem. Basically a standard message someone would receive when a program crashes for no reason.
Acki

Post by Acki »

Hmm, I sometimes have the same problem...
But always I forgot to check if all used files (meshes & textures) can be found by the prog !!!
So be shure all needet files are in the right place, so your prog can find them !!!
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java

Post by Guest »

I check the location of the files and I believe everything is fine. I must say I did put the Irrlicht.dll files in the directory of the project. Should they be located somewhere?
darkraven

Post by darkraven »

did you try this with EDT_SOFTWARE driver set and if so did it give you the same error. If I can remember a while back I got the error when I had used any of the directx9 or 8 settings but worked when I used the software and opengl device type. But this may not be the problem you are having.

Post by Guest »

Well, I've tried pretty much every combination I could think of and retyped the code. Yet, I still can get rid of the damn error message. Does anyone know if the paths for the mash file need a special reference. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quosa

I've the same error ...

Post by Quosa »

I use the sameconfiguration (Dev. 4.9.9.2/WinXP,SP2,and the Irrlicht 0.9.dll located in the same directory)

Could it be an Problem since 0.9? In preavious Versions my was functioning. Ich retyped the hello world demo but it still doesn't func.
:(
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

u could try to place the dll in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

OBS! this lib exists in my win -if it is named otherwise in xp .. i dont know!!
prpl. someone else will assist with that?

else..
at what specific time does ur app crash eg how 'deep' into the build process does u get
most important : is it after or before the driver selection console?

nb -the crash on dx options is a pest of mine to, i can use opengl only..
several threds debate this problem
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |
Acki

Post by Acki »

Maybe you're using a screen dimension, the your grafics card doesn't support (in fullscreen mode)...

Code: Select all

dimension2d<s32>(512, 384)
try for example:

Code: Select all

dimension2d<s32>(800, 600)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java