large 3d models

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Ragnarokk007

large 3d models

Post by Ragnarokk007 »

When I load large 3d models into the engine, it says that there are too many triangles. Is there a way to set the maximum triangles?
schick

Post by schick »

Well, i should have read the Irrlicht sources but i would say Irrlicht saved the triangle count in an unsigned int so if you exceed the maximal number of an unsigned int you will have such a error message.

Possible solution: Edit the model load function to use a greater value to hold the triangle count.

Cheers,

Schick
Please send me an e-mail instead of a private message.
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

Its an usigned short, i.e. around 65000 triangles. But there is a 32bit patch which makes it an unsigned int, i.e. about 4 billion triangles, which should suffice.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

wow, so far the Irrlicht engine hasn't complied of anything I throw at it! and it renders quite fast some large levels with terrain and models and stuff. You sure must have a complex scene!

@hybrid: any link to such patch?
Chris

Post by Chris »

I think this is the thread you'll want http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=5223.

I sure hope 4,294,967,296 triangles is enough for you :P . I may be showing off with that, or I may be varifying what billion means.
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

afecelis wrote:@hybrid: any link to such patch?
Sure, on my patch page http://parsys.informatik.uni-oldenburg. ... d/irrlicht. I changed the patch from IrrSpintz to work with Irrlicht 0.9 (don't know if something was changed, though; anyway I provide a patch which should be simple to apply).