I planning to use Irrlicht in my final year project!

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Tariq Jawaid

I planning to use Irrlicht in my final year project!

Post by Tariq Jawaid »

Hi There,
Its Tariq Jawaid, from Pakistan(Karachi), I m a computer engr. student, in my final year im developing a game, developing my own game engine and models... I m planning to use Irrlicht as a 3d engine, I've used it a bit, its very pleasent.... and yet easy to handle.

I need some assistance regarding choosing some of the technologies like.

1) I m using maya 6.0 for developing characters/animation, if i convert my models to .X file format, using microsoft .x file exporter for maya, that will work perfectly in irrlicht ? I have used tiny.x from directx sdk, it was working fine.... but if in the future i will export my full animated character into .x format, they will work ?

2) I can use c++ but im rather good at C#, so! could I rely on API.NET, or switch over to irrlicht native api for optimal results?

3) can I develop my game in C# and call your native API using .NET ? I think I can? can I?

I really appreciate your work, I m really fan of you guys for your work, please help me in this regard so i can work as quickly as it could!

I will be waiting for your soon reply... thanks
Tariq Jawaid

One more thing

Post by Tariq Jawaid »

Guys Im new, and at my area people dont really know that much about gaming/3d engines, so I will be really very pleased to get something from u...
thanks
schick

Post by schick »

1. Since Irrlicht reads X models if would say: yes. Furthermore since Maya is such a professional product it surely exports in some format that will be handeld by Irrlicht.

2. I haven't done any benchmarking but i think you could keep up with C#.

3. Yes.
Please send me an e-mail instead of a private message.
Tariq Jawaid

Thanks

Post by Tariq Jawaid »

I really appreciate your urgent reply... Im starting up my work, using your engine, thanks for building such a gr8 piece of work!!!
bal

Post by bal »

I still advice you to work with C++ rather than C# or another .NET language because the .NET port isn't complete yet. This means that you'll have more possibilities with the C++ version.
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
Tariq Jawaid

Microsoft X File Converter for Maya 6.x

Post by Tariq Jawaid »

I m trying to convert microsoft X file converter provided in the sdk, but did'nt able to convert it convert about 2800 ploys model to about 22 mb file, howcome? is there anyway to use animated meshes from maya?
please help me in this regard!

Post by Guest »

i dont think you can. i have tried, and failed.