It's alive!

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Galaxy613

It's alive!

Post by Galaxy613 »

Hello! Sry for sounding n00b or something, sense I'm not, but I'm damn happy sense:

IRRLICHT WORKS
:D :D :D

Tis the first 3D Engine in any programming language (C... C++... C#...) that I got working, I had to use Blitz3D for my 3D needs until now! I've been constantly looking and looking for new 3D engines to try, I've looked at:
  • SharpGL
  • TrueVision3D
  • Pruple#
  • Axiom3D
  • And many more that I've lost track of!
And this is the first one I've been able to get to work! :D Even tho I only have the HelloWorld C# tutorial code working I'm going to look more into Irr-Licht and learn to spell it correctly without trying! :D

So hello Irr-Licht forum people and say hello to a new Space Game creator outside of Blitz3D! :D
Galaxy613

Post by Galaxy613 »

Damn, looking at these forums now it looks like I'm not the only one that got a problem. I'm going to make a tutorial for people who want to use C# in SharpDevelop so people in the future won't have to stumble in the darkness. :<
INM8

Post by INM8 »

haha i hate C#, im a C++ user, but it seems many people love it, yes you should probably make a tutorial.

well: WELCOME TO THE WONDERFULL WORLD OF IRRLICHT! its irrlicht, not irr-licht lol, but oh well..
"Please do not read this quote. Thank you."
Galaxy613

Post by Galaxy613 »

Ey, I'm going to see about getting C++ to work, if it doesn't I'll stick with C#. Happy? ;)

You SHOULD be happy sense Dev-CPP is now able to work with IRRLicht. :roll: C++ it is.
X_for_Extra

Post by X_for_Extra »

Welcome.
Yeah, irrlicht actually works.
Dont fear C++. Its not as hard as it looks. I would even say that it its easier than blitz3D in some ways, not least because there such a huge load of tutorials and reference information out there. Also, being close to the metal makes it easier to understand what the hell your program is actually doing.

The advanced OOP features still make me a little nervous, but other than that I like it alot, and I only started learing it a couple of weeks ago.
Should put something witty here I suppose.
Galaxy613

Post by Galaxy613 »

Heh, thanks I will try to stick with C++ for awhile. Sadly the documention for C++ is a lot less friendly then the .NET one, in the .NET one you can look for something yourself OR search, but it seems like you HAVE to search in the non .NET one. :<

At anyrate, I got the sample code from the Dev-CPP tutorial to go into 800x600 fullscreen mode. :) It's a start. Also does anyone know if you can make primitives (spheres, cubes, cones) within IRRLicht? I really want to know if I can make Spheres but just using a command or not, because Spheres are one of the things that pushed me into IRRLicht believe it or not. o.O
X_for_Extra

Post by X_for_Extra »

Actually, no. There is a smgr->addTestNode() command wich makes a black cube, but other than that there are no primitives.
Unless someone has made some.
Should put something witty here I suppose.
cassini

Post by cassini »

INM8 wrote:haha i hate C#, im a C++ user, but it seems many people love it, yes you should probably make a tutorial.

well: WELCOME TO THE WONDERFULL WORLD OF IRRLICHT! its irrlicht, not irr-licht lol, but oh well..
Dude why don’t you learn how to use the language and stop making these moronic remarks?
If you do not like C# fine keep your opinion to yourself, maybe other people are interested.