best system for a diablo like view style ??

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

SARIN wrote:u could try using irrlichts addZipFileArchive, and converting all the textures into the zip file. this would prob be easier and take less space.
If I would decide to build Diabolo-Clone game I would:

1) for terrain - use seamless world with predesigned locations ( reason: the player should memorize map locations to predefine fighting tactics. Random Generated terrain will mix players brains up)

2) for effects - use HLSL shaders for smoke, reflection and water ( reason: looks nice )

3) for models - MD2, MD3 - good for FPshooter not RPGame... Predefine animation is past century so its much much better to use inGame phisics to define animation.

4) for gameplay - guys, lets forget "Diabolo-clone", "Fallout-clone" and ect labels. I would make "real world" not "quest-oriented" one. I would take MMORPG rules and make single game out of this...
plato, i disagree. if its a diablo clone, then 1)there should be random worlds, BUT predefined locations slightly random placed (in the same area)
2)actually, i agree here 3)i think that animations might be easier, and would follow more of the RPG diablo style, but if possible the physics might be great 4)mmorpg IS quest oriented, the only difference is that the quests are usually optional (which might be wat ur saying, i dont no)
anyways, goodluck amigairr

1)not very important actually, is start with a prédéfined world(
(i don't want to recode diablo, but a little game approching système style)

2) ok for me

3) ok for me

4) to see...

But, my only fist question actuelly is to start coding the base world :

a) bsp ? (no, why the ground is one texture only)
b) Terrain ? (no, why the ground is one texture only)
c) guest say :Hello

You can put all the textures in one file (bmp jpg etc)
then for each poligon of you terain you can use th UV parmeters to select the texture you want

how to do this ? exemple ?

thanks !!
L'eternité c'est long, surtout vers la fin...

Q6600 triton 79, 4 GO, 2* RAPTOR 150GO of ARECA 256 RAID 0, 3870 Zalmann, P5K. 24" Samsung. Antec nine hundred
SARIN

Post by SARIN »

hmm, if i understand wat ur saying, try milkshape 3d or some unwrapping painting program. ur talking about 1 texture with individually placed sections of that one texture on the terrain right?
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

probably yes ? :?

this is finally a style like 2d tiling, but in 3d...

Right way ?

Then, i can change every tile in real time by another..*

BUT, this is not very easy to code and manage....

:?

Q6600 triton 79, 4 GO, 2* RAPTOR 150GO of ARECA 256 RAID 0, 3870 Zalmann, P5K. 24" Samsung. Antec nine hundred
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

have anyone any exemple ?

thanks

kAd

Post by kAd »

I'm developping an mmorpg project, and I found diablo 2 style good ....

for maps, I'll use pure 2D isometric tiles + some lighting effects ...etc : I developped an Isometric map editor for this (not completed yet)

I use only 4 movement directions and absolute positions (players can't stay between two sprites)

players are also 2D sprites ...

and for networking I'm writing a layer on top of RakNet library ...

there is no playable version yet but there will be some early stage source code on our repository
We are using SVN, not CVS !

you can check my project here http://enzys.online.fr (the web site is in french :) )
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

super !

mais en 2D, y'a pas de fonctions d'eclairage avec irrlicht

donc c'est dommage